Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 26th, 2018 14:00

dedicated backup vlan

Hello All,

a little background on the situation right now we using the same VLAN for backup as production. All the storage nodes, DD,  networker server all located on production VLAN. all the client added in Networker using Production DNS name.

Now I try to change this setup by putting second NIC  (for dedicated backup) in Networker server, storage node and one client ( which I am using for test). dedicated backup VLAN does not have any DNS server on so I am putting all entries manually on all nodes in the host files.   ping worked all way

but some reason backup still flowing through the production NIC.

so just wondering if someone points me in the right direction to solve this problem...

some points on new setup:-

Networker Server based on Linux and networker version is 9.1.1.3

Storage node and client are both window based client and have the same version as the networker.

already updated the aliases (Globals (1 of 2)) for networker server and a storage node in networker.

the client I added into networker using clients production DNS name.

client have DNS name for networker server in Server network interface ((Globals (1 of 2)) (from dedicated VLAN)

devices(data domain) are still in a production network. 

Dedicated VLAN have no communication with production VLAN.

hosts files are updated on all three nodes with backup VLAN IP address and hostnames.

server files also updated on the client

Thanks in advance,

Sukhdeep 

263 Posts

April 30th, 2018 19:00

In the NetWorker client resource, there is a parameter called "Server Network Interface" (SNI).   Please populate this field with the i.p. address of the backup server...  specifically, the i.p. address that you want your client to use to send backup data to the backup server.

This will force the client to communicate with the backup server via that SNI address.  There will still be some traffic using the public address but if you are using the backup server as the storage node, the actual backup data will be sent through the network connecting to the SNI address.

If you are backing up data to a ddboost device, then Client Direct will allow the client to send data directly to the ddboost device, but the metadata will still go to the backup server.

4 Posts

May 22nd, 2018 11:00

Hello Wallace,

Thanks for your input.

indeed this was the issue with "Client direct" for testing purpose i disable the client direct backup on one of test device and after that client start using the backup vlan for backup.

Best Regards

Sukhdeep

155 Posts

June 5th, 2018 08:00

You can make the NetWorker client send Data on Backup VLAN without loosing Client Direct capability by adding Storage node entry same as that of SNI and use the device from the Backup VLAN on DD to be used as a Backup device for this client.

116 Posts

June 7th, 2018 00:00

Hi,

There are many considerations using a dedicated backup VLAN. (hostnames, aliases, magic dns issues, all backed up hosts will be connected to each other if you use a simple vlan without (network infra) firewalling possibilities, etc..).

Are you doing many restores in your environment? If you are using a DD backup should not generate much network traffic because of the client side dedup.

If you want to have a separate vlan, I don't see why do you keep your DD in the prod net, your traffic will go trough a gateway.

June 7th, 2018 01:00

Isn't the "new" ifgroup feature from DataDomain a good aproach for separating the backup traffic to a backup VLAN?

No Events found!