Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 11th, 2009 11:00

force the networker to clean the tape drivers

Hi guys,

How to force the networker to clean the tape drivers immidately?

Thanks

1.1K Posts

June 29th, 2009 05:00

Can you past the command and output?

December 22nd, 2009 10:00

When I try to force a cleaning, I get the followign in Networker 7.4.5.3:

# nsrjb -l -S 158 -vvv -f /dev/ntape/tape3_d1
setting verbosity level to `3'
Info: Skipping slot 158. It is a cleaning slot.
#

Slot 158 is the cleaning slot, it got that right. Networker is configured to automatically clean the drives, slot 158 is configured as the cleaning slot, and there is a cleaning tape in that slot with 15 uses available.

So how can I force a cleaning?

- Justus

122 Posts

December 22nd, 2009 23:00

You can't load/mount a cleaning cartridge, as you try with nsrjb -l.

Instead, if NetWorker Cleaning is configure, you can switch on the device ressource "cleaning required" flag.

This flag can also be set by NetWorker automatically, if your tape driver support CDI and the device ressource

"CDI" is set to "SCSI commands". If the driver does not support CDI this setting may produce problems, do

not use it in this case!

If the cleaning required flag is set the next time, a media is mounted NetWorker should do a cleaning first.

However, there is a bug open with EMC support, that the falg "cleaning required" does not work in every case.

Ask support for fix, if that happen in your environment. LGTsc29954 or new nomen: NW00104600

December 23rd, 2009 13:00

Thanks - that worked. In fact I did not have to load a tape. Shortly after checking the box, Networker loaded the cleaning tape and cleaned the drive.

Happy Holidays.

-  Justus

5 Posts

March 12th, 2010 00:00

We want to set the flag 'cleaning required' from the command line, not from GUI.

Is that possible?

736 Posts

March 12th, 2010 01:00

You can do this with nsradmin:

nsradmin -d /nsr/res/nsrdb
. type : NSR device; name : " "
update cleaning required: yes
y
print

But as Bill said, you need to be very careful using nsradmin.

-Bobby

445 Posts

March 12th, 2010 01:00

Nurko,

You can do this from the command line via the nsradmin command, there is a document on Powerlink which gives some details on how to use this.  Please note it is a very powerful command and does not prompt before changing the configuration (so please test the usage etc on a non production server first).  There is no rollout, and you can trash your config very easily if you do not get the clauses right.

You need to look at NSR device and set the cleaning required: No to cleaning required: Yes

See the following on Powerlink: -

http://powerlink.emc.com/km/live1/en_US/Offering_Technical/Technical_Documentation/300-010-459.pdf

If the link does not work search for "Special Uses and examples using NetWorker the nsradmin Program".

Regards,

Bill Mason

No Events found!