Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 21st, 2012 12:00

help with networker SAVEGRP completion email

I am running networker 7.6.0 on SLES 10SP3.

I am getting 2 different formats of email from networker when a savegroup completes.

the majority of the emails are in plain text and show up in my inbox without any issues.

Content type:  text/plain

About 3 times a day, I get a savegroup completion email with an attachment.

the attachment is ATT00001.bin and if i open it,  Its the same type of output as the other savegroup completion emails.

Its content type is:  application/octet-stream

Is there a way to change the output format of the emails from networker?

I attached the att00001.bin file for review.

here are the headers from the two different types of email:

To:

Subject: nsr.corp.sgi.com's savegroup completion

User-Agent: nail 11.25 7/29/05

MIME-Version: 1.0

===============

Content-Type: application/octet-stream

Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

===============

Sender:

Precedence: bulk

[Binary content]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

To:

Subject: nsr.corp.sgi.com's savegroup completion

User-Agent: nail 11.25 7/29/05

MIME-Version: 1.0

===============

Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii

Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

===============

Sender:

thankyou for your time!

Brian

1 Attachment

August 22nd, 2012 01:00

Hi,

As far as I see, the changes are to be made at the mail server end as Networker only uses the the email services and send you the alerts about savegrp notifications.

Let me find more on this and update you.

Thank you

Shivakiran

2 Posts

August 22nd, 2012 12:00

Hi Shivakiran,

The system definitely sees that the emails are different and thats why it decides to send one as plain text and the other as a binary attachement.   I think it has to be something with networker.   I don't see this behavior with any other systems,  and only sporadically on the networker server.     I think networker is adding some control character or characters to the emails that get turned into ATT00001.bin files.

Hopefully you find something on your end.

thanks,

Brian

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

September 2nd, 2012 08:00

If I load your attachment into Ultraedit, there are control characters to be seen which mail system would handle as binary and then use text as attachment.  If you convert it to DOS, they are gone.  These seem to be made by PowerSnap as they are present in lines with snaptime reported until the last line which doesn't have it and is not done by PS. The key question here is do you see this only with NMM backups and do you see it with only some NMM backups.  If only with some, then trick is to find one some exhibit this behavior and some do not.

1 Message

May 28th, 2015 04:00

It seems the text was created at Windows. I changed the notification at the Backup server (Linux) for "Savegroup completion" from:

/bin/mail -s "zmdhqbck02's savegroup '${NSR group}' completion" root

to

/usr/bin/dos2unix | /bin/mail -s "zmdhqbck02's savegroup '${NSR group}' completion" root

The "Savegroup Failure" need also to be changed in the same way.

The "dos2unix" command removed the control characters and this solved the problem

No Events found!