Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 26th, 2006 11:00

mmrecov fails with RPC error

Hopefully someone else has experienced this. I have been working with support for almost a week now and apparently they are stumped.
Our media DB got corrupted, so I called support to find out how to restore it. Found the most recent bootstrap and renamed mm folder to mm.old and index folder to index.old. Started services and then did mmrecov. I saw the res folder being restored to res.R and right after that, I got

"nsrmmdbasm -r C:\Program Files\Legato\nsr\mm\mmvolume6\
C:\Program Files\Legato\nsr\mm\mmvolume6\: file exists, overwriting
C:\Program Files\Legato\nsr\mm\
scanner: ssid 549406550: scan complete
scanner: ssid 549406550: 5803 KB, 1384 file(s)
nsrmmdbasm: RPC receive operation failed. A network connection could not be est
ablished with the host.
mmrecov: SYSTEM error: Service is going down
mmrecov:
Cannot Mount volume on \\.\Tape1

If your resource files were lost, they are now recovered in the 'res.R'
directory. Copy or move them to the 'res' directory, after you have shut
down the service. Then restart the service.

Otherwise, just restart the service.

If the on-line index for servername was lost, it can be
recovered using
the nsrck command."

The daemon.log file has the following:

"07/26/06 12:51:52 nsrmmdbd: media db is recovering. This may take a while.
07/26/06 12:52:02 nsrd: nsrmmdbd has exited with status 128
07/26/06 12:52:02 nsrd: networker daemons critical: nsrmmdbd has exited with status 128
07/26/06 12:52:02 nsrd: shutting down
07/26/06 12:52:03 nsrmmgd: Shut down command has been sent to all known nsrlcpd processes.
07/26/06 12:52:03 nsrlcpd #1: Jukebox `SuperLoader' is exiting. The jukebox is no longer managed by nsrlcpd.
07/26/06 12:52:23 nsrd: successful shutdown"

As I said EMC so far is stumped. ANY help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

July 26th, 2006 12:00

It might be that most recent bootstrap has corrupted media db too. Try to restore (mmrecov) data using some earlier bootstrap.

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

Oh, that sounds interesting. What happens if you try to run mmrecov using bootstrap old 6 months? Did support let you run services in debug mode to get more data? Did you try to do the mmrecov with another version of NW (make sure you have right one based on your CPU model)?

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

Also, what happens if you attach library (well, just one tape device) to some other Windows box and try to run mmrecov there - do you get same problem?

4 Posts

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, I've tried a few earlier bootstraps, even some that were on different tapes. Same errors.

4 Posts

OK, so the oldest bootstrap I tried was 3 weeks old. I'll have to try an older one.

Not sure what you mean about services in debug mode. If you mean mmrecov -v, then yes, we did do that, and it didn't give him anything to go on. Is that what you mean?

I have not tried another version of networker. I'm on 7.3.1, and I'm not sure if I can uninstall and go back a version or two. Do you know if it will work to restore a media db to an older version of NW?

In regards to your other post, wouldn't I have to install NW on another box an then attach a tape drive to it in order to try mmrecov from it?

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

July 26th, 2006 13:00

Not sure what you mean about services in debug mode.
If you mean mmrecov -v, then yes, we did do that,
and it didn't give him anything to go on. Is that
what you mean?

No, according to the log your media db daemon (nsrmmdbd) goes fireworks after media from tape is recovered. There are two possibilities:
- media db on tape is corrupted
- something on that box is causing this effect

To get more information it would be good to get daemons running in debug mode. You can do that from cmd line when starting NetWorker or live once that supports provide you appropriate command line utility to do so.

I have not tried another version of networker. I'm
on 7.3.1, and I'm not sure if I can uninstall and go
back a version or two. Do you know if it will work
to restore a media db to an older version of NW?

No you can't, but if you have older media db on tape as part of bootstrap you could use older version of NW used to perform bootstrap originally.

In regards to your other post, wouldn't I have to
install NW on another box an then attach a tape drive
to it in order to try mmrecov from it?

Yes. This is to rule out that something is wrong with that box itself.
No Events found!