Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 30th, 2011 04:00

networker 7.6.2 and vmware vcb backup

hello,

We want to upgrade to 7.6.x. However we still want to use vcb backup.

I got this from the Procedure Generator for the upgrade to 7.6.2

Image level backup and recovery

Image backup and recovery uses VMware Consolidated backup (VCB) for pre-NetWorker 7.6 SP2 releases, or vStorage APIs for Data Protection (VADP) technology for NetWorker 7.6 SP2 releases to offload backup processing from the server to a separate backup proxy host. With this option, challenges associated with resource utilization on the server can be avoided as the proxy host inherits the workload. However, this option is more complex to configure and requires additional hardware and infrastructure.

Note:   NetWorker release 7.6 SP2 uses VADP only.

Does this mean i have to use 7.6.1 on the server? Or does this apply to the proxy host?

Regards,

Rene Doove

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

June 2nd, 2011 13:00

I think there was a thread recently where EMC guy confirmed you could use both.

68 Posts

As I understand it you have to be on 7.6.1 if you go to 7.6.2 you will not be able to use VCB.

I do not know why you wnat to keep with something that VMWare is ending it would be best to go over to the API for VMWare.

Yes you should keel nodes and main server at the same level. they run better this way.

I do not like VCB API is much better.  I just hope that EMC does it as good and others backup vendors have done it.

68 Posts

The developers told me it was a one-way street it you did the full VCB conversion to API.

34 Posts

June 27th, 2011 03:00

You can use both if you keep the NW server at 7.6.1.6 and add a storage node with 7.6.2. Use the storage node for VADP and use the NW server for VCB... or add another storage node with 7.6.1.6 for VCB if you don't want the server to handle it.

No Events found!