Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 6th, 2010 11:00

nsradmin anyone?

Preston De Guise posted a micromanual over on his blog that covers how nsradmin works and how to get more experience with automation and scripting.  Take a look here.

Debbie D. and David G.  also posted a tech note in December covering nsradmin.   You can find it here with Powerlink access.

So get reading- you'll be quizzed next week! 

Allan

38 Posts

January 20th, 2010 09:00

Good stuff Allan, thanks!

334 Posts

January 21st, 2010 12:00

Below are your questions.  A few from the manuals and a couple for fun.

1) What is captured in the nsrla.res file ?

2) Which nsradmin commands would you use to change the success threshold for Group “Windows”?

3) How would you use nsradmin to globally change the retention period for all 10 clients in Group “Windows” from 30 days to 45 days?

4) The person that prepared the micromanual is terrified of something, what is it?

5) What does "nsr" stand for?

Answer as many as you can.  Winner will be picked based on number of questions answered along with content. Winner will receive an EMC water bottle and memory stick. 

Don't hesitate to post even if someone posted before you.  Winner will be announced on Wednesday (27th), 1pm Eastern Time. 

Thanks and have fun!

Allan

Message was edited by: AllanW- rule edit!

334 Posts

January 26th, 2010 11:00

I hope everyone is holding out!  I edited the rules a bit to open it up a bit more.

Allan

22 Posts

February 2nd, 2010 11:00

I just wanted to note that there's an error on page 7 of the EMC nsradmin technote, which if used, could disable all devices within an environment.

The section "Listing all devices in service mode" on page 7 instead actually provides instructions which would put all devices in service mode – particularly if done automatically from a script.

I'd suggest this gets fixed.

334 Posts

Thanks Preston!

Allan

334 Posts

By the way, I thought you would at least answer #4 of the quiz above? 

334 Posts

February 2nd, 2010 13:00

I'm giving a perfect score on those answers!  I'll also try to answer the error you pointed out above.  How would- nsradmin> Show name; enabled:Service

sound to you as a replacement?

Allan

22 Posts

Ah now I thought I would have been excluded on the grounds of having "insider" knowledge on that question.

So if you'd like, here are my answers:

1. What is captured in in the nsrla.res file?

Well, nothing these days since everyone's using a modern enough version of NetWorker that nsrla.res is no longer in use, right? :-)

Instead we look at the nsrladb database, which contains:

- Port information

- Peer information

- Log file details

- Client identification/installed software/etc details (NSRLA)

(Just to name a few)

2. Which nsradmin commands would you use to change the threshold for group "Windows"?

Well, I'd use different group names to that, but...

nsradmin> show name:; success threshold:

nsradmin> print type: NSR group; name: Windows

nsradmin> update success threshold: Success

3. What would you use nsradmin to globally change the retention period for all ten clients in Group Windows from 30 days to 45 days.

Assuming I had a policy named "45days", I'd use the command:

nsradmin> show name:; retention policy:

nsradmin> print type: NSR client; group: Windows

nsradmin> update retention policy: 45days

Note though that this would only affect new backups for clients in this group. For previous backups, you've got a lot of nsrmm commands to run :-)

4. The person that prepared the micromanual is terrified of something, what is it?

Zombies. They scare the hell out of me. Can't watch movies with them in it, and even had a few nightmares while reading Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. Though I think I'm going to have to force myself to sit through Shaun of the Dead as an intro, since now that I've heard they're doing a movie version of Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, I'll have to somehow make myself go to that...

5. What does "nsr" stand for?

I'd always heard "network save (and) restore". As long as it doesn't stand for anything involving zombies, I'm happy though.

How did I go?

22 Posts

Hi Allan,

The command on page 7 should be:

nsradmin> show name:

nsradmin> print type: NSR device; enabled: Service

This would print the names of devices that are in a "service mode" state.

Cheers,

Preston.

No Events found!