Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 1st, 2011 06:00

rrxcap-app13:C:\ 39078:save: SYSTEM error: client `client name' is not properly configured on the NetWorker Server

I've been getting this error now for the last two-weeks and everything I try doesn't work.

rrxcap-app13:C:\ 39078:save: SYSTEM error: client `rrxcap-app13.ml.wpafb.af.mil' is not properly configured on the NetWorker Server

It's funny because it worked fine for 11 days with no error then suddenly for no reason It fails. I checked and rechecked all the DNS and networker settings. Nothing has change.

Has anyone seen this and know the fix.

Thanks,

Doug

March 1st, 2011 08:00

It does look like a network issue to me, particularly as you state you have had no change to your Networker configuration.

75 Posts

March 2nd, 2011 02:00

Try to put the hostnames of server and client in the local hosts files, this will tell you if the problem is indeed DNS related(it will go away) or maybe related to client name or identifcation.

Also, from the server try the following:

nsradmin -p nsrexec -s rrxcap-app13.ml.wpafb.af.mil   [enter]

nsradmin> p type:nsrla      [enter]

(output)

nsradmin>q   [enter]

What you want is what it says under "name:"  this is the name the client uses to identify itself with towards the server. This must be the same as configured on the server or at least a known alias on the server.

/tony

13 Posts

March 2nd, 2011 07:00

We have the same thing a few times a day in our enviroment. nothing changed on client but still this message.

our solution is to just "re-create" the client.

1. save client-id.

2. delete client

3. recreate client with same schedule, group, name, client-id and so on.

and then for SOME REASON it seems to work again.

would also know why networker does this sometimes.

March 3rd, 2011 01:00

Next time you get the error message run:

savegrp -vvvvpc clientname groupname

full nslookups from client and server

- and post the results here. Hopefully someone can help you, or at least define the problem a little more clearly for EMC's support to investigate further.

Surely it is better to troubleshoot the problem than workaround it like this...  The error usually refers to an issue with name resolution - check aliases configured for this client, verify nslookups for hostname, all aliases and IP is consistent on both client and server, ensure HOSTS files do not have any incorrect entries...

13 Posts

of course. we have been troubleshooting. for hours and hours. even had a few cases with EMC..

we have had this issue on ALOT of clients. randomly. and we can verify that no one have been logging in to this machine since this error started appearing.

and no changes to network/hosts-file etc. have also been verified.

almost as if networker for some reason all of a sudden "forgets" the client.

but the "solution" or "workaround" i provided seems to work.

but if some can tell me what could be wrong if i can RE-CREATE the client excactly as it was before and then all of a sudden it works?

14.3K Posts

March 11th, 2011 17:00

dman1977 wrote:

I've been getting this error now for the last two-weeks and everything I try doesn't work.

rrxcap-app13:C:\ 39078:save: SYSTEM error: client `rrxcap-app13.ml.wpafb.af.mil' is not properly configured on the NetWorker Server

It's funny because it worked fine for 11 days with no error then suddenly for no reason It fails. I checked and rechecked all the DNS and networker settings. Nothing has change.

Has anyone seen this and know the fix.

Thanks,

Doug

This is typical message when you backup client and alias for for that client in NW resources is missing mentioned entry which is . .  (perhaps unrelated, once I had customer who had also problem like this and at first sight they had alias field set correctly to learn after closer inspection that issue started after they created copy of client and during that process NMC crashed - that created corrupted alias field which you could only see with cat -vet against actual resource located inside nsrdb - removing whole alias field, saving it, and then adding it back did the trick).

326 Posts

December 6th, 2011 15:00

Hi all

seeing the exact issue...probe is successful...but backup fails

C:\Users\svc-networkerbackup>savegrp -vv -p -c clientsrv -G grp

32451:savegrp: clientsrv:All            level=incr

7236:savegrp: Group will not limit job parallelism

32494:savegrp: clientsrv:probe              started

savefs -s NWKRSRV -c clientsrv -g grpName -p -o VSS:DISASTER_RECOVERY=off; -l full -R -v

77567:savegrp: grpName * clientsrv:All  See the file x:\nsr\tmp\sg\grpName\sso.00000a for outp

7341:savegrp: clientsrv:All succeeded.

7076:savegrp: --- Probe Summary ---

clientsrv:All    level=full, dn=-1, mx=0, vers=ssbrowse, p=4

clientsrv:All      level=full, pool=pool, save as of 12/7/2011 12:18:43 PM

clientsrv:VSS SYSTEM FILESET:\ level=incr, dn=0, mx=1, vers=ssbrowse, p=4

clientsrv:VSS SYSTEM FILESET:\ level=incr, pool=pool, save as of 11/29/2011 6:09:46 PM

clientsrv:VSS OTHER:\ level=incr, dn=1, mx=1, vers=ssbrowse, p=4

clientsrv:VSS OTHER:\ level=incr, pool=pool, save as of 11/29/2011 6:09:53 PM

clientsrv:VSS USER DATA:\ level=incr, dn=2, mx=1, vers=ssbrowse, p=4

clientsrv:VSS USER DATA:\ level=incr, pool=pool, save as of 11/29/2011 6:09:51 PM

clientsrv:VSS SYSTEM SERVICES:\ level=incr, dn=3, mx=1, vers=ssbrowse, p=4

clientsrv:VSS SYSTEM SERVICES:\ level=incr, pool=pool, save as of 11/29/2011 6:09:52 PM

clientsrv:VSS SYSTEM BOOT:\ level=incr, dn=4, mx=1, vers=ssbrowse, p=4

clientsrv:VSS SYSTEM BOOT:\ level=incr, pool=pool, save as of 11/29/2011 6:10:03 PM

clientsrv:E:\     level=incr, dn=5, mx=1, vers=ssbrowse, p=4

clientsrv:E:\      level=incr, pool=pool, save as of 11/29/2011 6:10:23 PM

clientsrv:D:\     level=incr, dn=6, mx=1, vers=ssbrowse, p=4

clientsrv:D:\      level=incr, pool=pool, save as of 11/29/2011 6:10:30 PM

clientsrv:C:\     level=incr, dn=7, mx=1, vers=ssbrowse, p=4

clientsrv:C:\      level=incr, pool=pool, save as of 11/29/2011 6:10:42 PM

clientsrv:index  level=full, dn=-1, mx=0, vers=ssbrowse, p=4

clientsrv:index    level=full, pool=pool, save as of 12/7/2011 12:18:43 PM

7241:savegrp: nsrim run recently, skipping

Backup Result

--------------------------

1 retry attempted

81030:save: Most VSS Save Operations values are ignored on this OS platform.

39078:save: SYSTEM error: client `xx.xx.xx.xx' is not properly configured on the NetWorker Server

5777:save: Cannot open save session with NWKRSRV

:  Failed with error(s)

Things done

---------------------

+ delete create resource

+ delete peer info

+ rename ./tmp and nsrladb

+ tried removed the aliases in globals field..but it got filled up auto after save...still fails however

+ rpcinfo, nslookup, ping all ok

Was working before...

Any other hints appreciated...thanks..

736 Posts

December 7th, 2011 01:00

Hi,

You could try putting the IP address of the client in its aliases field. 

-Bobby

14.3K Posts

December 9th, 2011 05:00

Just add xx.xx.xx.xx to alias list of clientsrv

326 Posts

December 11th, 2011 12:00

Hi

Thanks for replies..I am thinking the same to put in alias field but just curious why other clients success without entries in host file..

14.3K Posts

December 16th, 2011 05:00

This has nothing to do with entries in hosts files.  When network trafic goes back to backup server client checks list of interfaces it will talk back; usually that's primary interface, then one to which hostname resolves first (controlled by resolv.conf) and the one to use to communicate back to server (if set).  Those names have to be on alias list of the client.

326 Posts

December 20th, 2011 20:00

hi

the client do have the alias...short, fqdn and IP add

December 16th, 2015 19:00

I know that this problem is 4 years old.   But I just searched for it, and got this thread.  The answer I found that worked:

https://tomlambrechts.wordpress.com/2012/06/05/client-xxx-is-not-properly-configured-on-the-networker-server/

Which says:

CLIENT `XXX’ IS NOT PROPERLY CONFIGURED ON THE NETWORKER SERVER

save: SYSTEM error: client `www’ is not properly configured on the NetWorker Server

solved by…

Making sure forward and reverse dns lookup is ok for both client and server
Opening Networker Client configuration.
Remove all the aliases
Save client
Reopen client and you’ll notice aliases will repopulate.

Backup should be fine now.

Ian...

November 4th, 2016 05:00

This worked for me.

No Events found!