Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 10th, 2012 02:00

scanner - sequence question for multi volume saveset

Hi

I have a multivolume (5 tapes) saveset with a number of "middle" volumes.

I need to run scanner over this - nsrck -L7 is not an option.

I assume that the tapes will need to be supplied to scanner in the order they were written - how do i work out the sequence for the "middle" volumes ?(3)

Any advice appreciated.

Nick

1.7K Posts

Hi Nick,

Unless your MDB is corrupted scanner command should ask you for the correct tape when it finish scanning the current tape.

You need to know though which one is the first tape, and you can check that in NMC->Media->Savesets.

Here type the SSID of the data you want to restore, and you will see the volumes that saveset is spread into.

This is the GUI approach, you can just run mminfo for that saveset and query the volumes for that saveset

Then query the tapes and you will see the flags of the saveset. the on with the flag "h" (header) is the one to scan first then, if there is no issues with the MDB the scanner command should show you a message like "finish with volume xxxx, please mount volume yyyyy and press intro".

Thank you.

Carlos.

445 Posts

Nick,

Scanner should prompt you to load the tapes in the correct order automatically.

You can work out what order the volumes were written to by using the mminfo command and reporting the mediafile numbers e.g.

mminfo -q saveset= -r client,name,mediafile,volume

The mediafile numbers should go up in sequence and therefore you can see the order in which the volumes were used.

Hope this helps

Regards,

Bill Mason

116 Posts

July 10th, 2012 03:00

Thanks for the responses.  Its been a while since i ran it and had forgotten that it prompts for the next volume it expects so i dont need to determine the exact order of the middle volumes.

No Events found!