Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 11th, 2010 00:00

snapshot backup - how it works

Hi,  I am wondering how do you backup snapshots from a storage. I heard you have to mount it somewhere on a storage node and then back it up. Also I heard that  a snapshot is seen in the networker as a saveset. Now here are my questions:  How do you technically "mount the snapshot" for backup purposes? is it something like mounting a LUN from storage and then you see this as a normal filesystem and you back it up like any other filesystem? Or does the storage node see "a SCSI target" and backs up "some stream of bytes"?  I am asking because we have received a request to backup a farm of servers in hosting environment with 2 TB of files each. About 20 servers. And our concerns are about the amount of files on each server and the time networker needs for full backup. Currently we are backing up storage nodes with ~16 millions files with local disks of 800 GB and this takes 12 hours. I presume that on those 2 TB there will be even more files and the backup process will take much longer if the backup of a snapshot is like backing up a normal file system.  Any usefull thoughts on this subject would be appreciated. :)  Bartosz Maruszewski

10 Posts

February 11th, 2010 01:00

Additional comment from me (the author).

I just spoke to some EMC 1st support level (by the way while solving another case) and they said that the snapshot is differently handled depending on if it is mounted on a storage node or if it is backed up via some Networker Module like PowerSnap for example. Is it correct that if a snapshot is backed up via PowerSnap then it is a stream of bytes and not a filesystem?

And if a snapshot is backed up as a stream of bytes am I able to recover single files? I gues not...?

Bartosz Maruszewski

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

February 16th, 2010 05:00

I'm using PowerSnap.  It makes a snapshot and based on your disk array you may do several things.  When backing up to tape, snapshot is mounted to proxy server and from there backed up to tapes as file system.
No Events found!