Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 19th, 2012 17:00

10Gb trunking between 6248P and 8024F issues (using TwinXA)

G'day, 

I'm having a few issues setting up a trunk between a 6248P stack and an 8024F stack. I have existing trunks setup to both stacks that lead back to the core switch. 

I'd like to move the 6248P stack over so its trunking from the 8024F stack instead of directly into the core, and that's where my problem starts. 

As soon as I try and bring up that link all comms to the the 6248P stack dies (while the exsisting trunks are still plugged in). 

I'm using a 7 meter TwinAX cable, the 6248P stack has a 10Gb uplink module installed in the back of one of its members. 

I've stripped the port config back to a basic trunk (on both sides), with no vlan config what so ever.  

I've tried specifying duplex and speed, with no change

Any help and guidance is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance. 

802 Posts

December 19th, 2012 18:00

I would want to start with making sure you have the current firmware on both switches.

6224 – version 3.3.5.5

www.dell.com/.../powerconnect-6224

8024 – version 5.0.1.3

www.dell.com/.../powerconnect-8024

You may want to try general mode instead of trunk.

console# configure

console(config)# interface ethernet e11

console(config-if)# switchport mode general

console(config-if)# switchport general allowed vlan add 10 tagged

console(config-if)# switchport general pvid 1

console(config-if)# end

General Links consist of a combination of VLAN Trunk and Access Links.

General Links can have both tagged and untagged frames, However, all frames sent to a specific VLAN must be tagged.  All untagged  frames are sent to the native VLAN.

The native VLAN still applies to the General LINK.  While it is possible to have multiple untagged vlans on a General link, you can only have ONE (1) PVID.  The PVID represents the native VLAN.  

While untagged traffic may be sent via several untagged VLANs, returning untagged traffic will only be received by the PVID and therefore will NOT be forwarded to a specific VLAN.

General links are mostly used today for legacy equipment.  However, on the PowerConnect 62xx series switches, you must use General mode if you want to allow management traffic onto the switch over the PVID.  If you use Trunk mode, you will not have the default VLAN on those ports.  The ports will only allow tagged traffic.

Hope this helps,

No Events found!