Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

November 27th, 2006 12:00

3348 switch ports drop

I've been having a recurring problem on our 3348 switches with random ports dropping their connection. We have computer labs connected in our lan through 3348 switches. All the switch ports are set to auto and all the PC's (in this particular lab) are Dell GX260's and their NICs are also set to auto. What happens is the ports activity light will go solid and the PC can no longer connect to the network. The port remains this way until the switch is reset. We can move the PC to another port and it works. If we put a working PC into the dropped port it still doesn't work. It doesn't seem happen to the same PC's all the time or even the same switch ports.

We have some printers attached too. They are currently set to full duplex, 10M and had previously been auto everything(10M), half duplex.

Switch Software version: 1.2.0.6
Switch Hardware Veresion: 00.00.03
Switch Boot Version: 1.0.0.13

Any help or further indicators for me to consider would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

Message Edited by JPLaflamme on 11-27-200610:18 AM

63 Posts

November 28th, 2006 09:00

63 Posts

November 28th, 2006 14:00

I have seen the exact problem you are describing on the 34xx series switches, which was related to Duplex mismatches but not on the 33xx. So I can only recommend the upgrade and see how it fairs out.....

16 Posts

You are right, though. Either way I still need to upgrade the firmware on the switches, but if it was the printers I can at least not hurry as much as I would have had to. :)

63 Posts

Yes that could be the cause, either both sides of the connection are set manually to the same parameters or Auto. Otherwise Duplex mismatches will occur.

16 Posts

Ya, I was afraid someone would say that. I was hoping that this was a known problem or that someone has had it before so I know why it's happening rather than applying upgrades that may not do anything and will take a lot of time to do(which I need to do anyway). If there was a workaround that could be used short of the firmware upgrades I would still like to know that.

16 Posts

Is it possible the printers were causing this to happen intermittently when a workstation went to print because they were not auto-negotiating entirely right (ie: half duplex)? I've since manually set the printer switch ports to full.
No Events found!