Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 24th, 2010 16:00

3524 vs Netgear GS716T - VLAN Issues

I have a network with some PowerConnect 3524s and PowerConnect 3548s connected to each other and to a Netgear GS716T. This drawing :

real-installed-network-982.png OR real-installed-network-982.jpg shows how they're connected. Each of the Linux servers shown in that drawing has a VLAN interfaces defined for each vlan in which it participates.

I've only used the web-interface to do the configurations and what I've done is :

• set all ports on the dell switches to be in VLAN mode "General"
  • if the port connects to a PC or a wifi-ap, then I set the PVID appropriately (i.e. either 2, 4, 8, 10, 12 or 14). and set the participation to U
  • if the port connects to one of the linux servers or to another switch set the PVID to 1 and set the port to tag (T).
  • a vlan is only defined on a switch if that vlan has to pass through the switch or there's a PC connected to it on that vlan

I am having some problems with this. 3 of 7 Dell switches (1x 3524 and 2x 3548) communicate with the netgear switches without a problem (those on the right of the diagram linked above).

The others, connected over the fiber link, don't seem to want to participate in any vlan apart from 1.

Looking at the Dynamic address tables on the switch, I can see that it lists the proper vlan and MAC address for the PCs connected directly to it. But it doesn't ever list anything for VLANs connected via the "trunk" port.

The questions I have are :

1. Does the STP function on the 35xx series interfere with VLAN functioning? Off/On does it matter? The netgear switches only support "Classic STP", and they ship with it off by default.
  2. Do I have to provide the switch with an IP address in each vlan subnet? Or is it ok to just have the switch respond to an IP on vlan.1
  3. On my linux router, I've assigned a different MAC address to each vlan interface, could this be causing a problem? If so what/why?

I honestly can't think of a reason why things don't work, so I'm hoping someone here can help me out. If you're that person, thanks in advance, if you're trying to find help too, thanks for reading my post.

3 Posts

February 27th, 2010 13:00

Accidental double post

3 Posts

February 27th, 2010 13:00

So as it turns out, there was another switch in the network that I knew nothing about.

The same people that installed the fiber (before I started on the job), had put another switch in a dark lonely place where there's a dead alligator. And I knew nothing about it until now. Hell, the system administrator and his assistant had never seen the switch before now.

I guess this means the PowerConnect 35xx series aren't so bad after all.

So now, all things are working beautifully. I have my VLANS functioning perfectly.

If you're curious to see what the problem was, I've put an updated diagram on my site real-installed-network-fix [png] or [jpg]. You can see the trouble switch circled in red.

So, in case you end up here searching to answer the question of Dell vs Netgear switches, yes, they work fine. I have totally disabled STP though, so I can't comment on it's functioning.

No Events found!