Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 6th, 2012 18:00

5424 switch config default stance change with new firmware?

Hello,

Did the default stance of the 54xx series switches change with the newest firmware?  Let me explain...

I had the opportunity to take a pair of PowerConnect 5424 switches (for use at my DR site's iSCSI SAN), and update them to the latest firmware.  (2.0.0.46).  Since I've been needing to revamp the configuration of these switches, I decided to to do a "delete startup-config" and "reload" followed by making a very basic config.  (assigning an IP to vlan1).  Saved the config and can ping the switch fine, but it's just that when I attempt to access it from various ways, it denies me.

Attempt via web browser returns:

Access was denied due
to one of the following reasons:

1. There are too many users logged
         in
  2. The specified user name and/or
         password is incorrect
  3. The specified user has not be
         granted web administration privileges

Attempt via Telnet returns:

Cannot authenticate user due to:

bad/missing configuration, inaccessible server, user
low privileges

Please reconfigure or use Password Recovery

Connection to host lost

Attempt via SSH returns:

Connection aborted

At first I thought it was due to some mistake in a build of a config, but I've dumbed down the config enough to elliminate all but the basics.  Has something changed with recent firmware updates?  What would be the recommended remedy?

31 Posts

January 10th, 2012 14:00

Can you provide a running config that we can view?

203 Posts

January 10th, 2012 14:00

Unfortunately, as I reverted everything back (the old bailout plan), I forgot to dump a running-config for post-mortem analysis.  But I do have a master build sheet that I plan on using for my next attempt at it, if you'd like to see that.  

Since that time I've wondered if I actually just overlooked the fact that since I skipped over the setup wizard, I needed to manually add in credentials with full access.  Correct?  ...I was going to add to my build sheet:

configure

username switchadmin password switchpass level 15

where "switchadmin" is the username and "switchpass" is the password.  Should that be all that is needed for generating a user that has Web, SSH, or telnet access?

No Events found!