Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 16th, 2010 15:00

AC Adapter = unknown device installed

error message - laptop inspiron E1705   "plugged in not charging"   running vista 32 bit      battery checks out ok   bios A10  

261 Posts

March 16th, 2010 15:00

It's not recognizing the adapter as original equipment, if you replaced the adapter with an aftermarket non DELL one it might not charge as some do not. If this is the original adapter it might be failing try shutting the laptop down and removing the battery for 5-10 mins then reinstall it and reapply the power again and see if things get better.

2 Posts

March 16th, 2010 18:00

yeah that didn't work.  I have  2 dell ac adapters  - neither one is being "recognized"  the adapters are the correct ones - 90w,  The battery on my Inspiron E1705 running VISTA 32 bit  is slowly discharging ,,,,,about 1% loss over a 24 hour period.  I shut down th laptop during the overnight.  During the day it is usually plugged....not charging .....but seemingly not discharging. Current battery charge reads 62 %   Machine now out of warrenty?  Fixable?   Buy new machine?  buy yet another ac adapter?  

261 Posts

March 18th, 2010 19:00

I'd clean the battery contacts and if that didn't work I'd go as far as doing a Repair installation of the OS, i.e. boot up with the OS CD and choose Repair, there is a chance your OS has gone SOUTH and is failing to recognize the adapters after that I guess your internal connector on the MB has issues.

March 19th, 2010 09:00

I would try opening the System BIOS by tapping F2 at the boot screen, and have a look at the Battery Info and Battery Health status. Check the little pin in the A/C Adapter connector, if the pin is broken the adapter will not charge the battery, but the system can run off the A/C adapter. If the pin is good, the issues is most likely to be with the connecter on the Main board of the computer.

No Events found!