Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 2nd, 2012 15:00

Any issues stacking a 6224 w/ a 6248?

I'm configuring a setup for a remote site.  I have a 6224 and a 6248.  I'm wanting to stack the two of them together to make remote managment easier.

MY ENVIRONMENT:

Both switches are running v3.3.2.3.

Both switches recognize a stacking module is in place

Both stacking modules are in the left module port.

6224 port 1 stack <-> 6248 port 2 stack

6248 port 1 stack <-> 6224 port 2 stack

Switche's startup.config was deleted so I had a clean slate.

Switches were physically connected and brought up as per the "Stacking Dell PowerConnect 6200 Series Switches" December 2010 white paper.

Setup is:

6224 <-STACK-> 6248 <-LAN via 1/g48->

Setup is identical to working stack with two 6224's.

PROBLEM:

Both switches come up as Master and switch 1

Switches do not see eachother as stack members.

Network traffic IS passing through the stack connection as if they were dedicated uplink connection.  I can access the LAN from the 6224 (ping, web traffic.)  Additionally, I'm able to telnet and get Web access to the admin console on the 6224 from a device on the LAN.

WHAT I'VE TRIED:

• Again deleting the startup.config
  • Reversing the order of the cables
  • Manually configuring the 6224 to be switch 2
  • Booting them seperatly (as per the white paper) and at the same time

5 Posts

January 3rd, 2012 08:00

Thanks.  The iSCSI setup went well with my dual stacked 6224's.  When reading your setup I don't see that you used a 6224 and a 6248, just two 6224.

The documentation suggest this should work, they're at the same version, they see the stack, traffic is flowing through the stack, but they won't stack.

5 Posts

UPDATE:

Rookie mistake!  Ports on the stacking module were in Ethernet mode.  Changed to stack mode and I'm up and running.  Thanks to Jeff @ Dell tech support.

203 Posts

No issues here, other than the initial challenge of getting the confirmed settings for iSCSI configuration.  Anyway, I revamped my configs on my stacked 6224's.  I give a step by step here:  itforme.wordpress.com/.../reworking-my-powerconnect-6200-switches-for-my-iscsi-san

203 Posts

Yes, I'm sorry.  The link was only to provide an example of stacked 6224s.  As for the viability of stacking a 6224 and 6248, you may want to submit a case to support.  I don't know if it is possible actually.

6 Posts

September 1st, 2015 22:00

There is actual detail over here: http://www.seanlabrie.com/2011/configuring-stacking-on-dell-6248-switches/

Content:

Here is what I had to do to get them working properly, and performing like stacked switches:

Type “show stack-port” and then press enter, this should verify that your stack ports are set to “ethernet” instead of “stack” which is why they are not forming a stack

Type “config”, press enter, and then type “stack” and press enter.

Type “stack-port 1/xg1 stack” and then press enter.

Type “stack-port 1/xg2 stack” and then press enter.

Repeat these steps on the other switch, and then reboot both of them. But don’t forget to Type “Copy run start” before rebooting.

Once they both reboot only one should be displaying the “Master” light now, move your console cable to this switch, log into the console and type “show switch”. Both switches should now be listed, one as the master (the one you are console connected to, and the other(s) in “Oper Stby” waiting to assume the master role if the master fails.

This answers my question: "okay, so how do you "change to stack mode" ... please, rookies, explain to the next newbie how to fix it!

Cheers,

-danny

No Events found!