Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 5th, 2017 17:00

Best Practice for N3024F Redudancy

Hi All,

Currently I have one switch N3024F that works as Core Switch. Now I have plan to buy another one N3024F for redundancy. I was thinking about to Stacking or using VRRP, I dont know is my think is right, still in doubt.

Can you give suggestion to creating best practice for Redundancy and High Availibility for this, If I want to using scenario :
1. Active - Active
2. Active - Backup

Please kindly need your help.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 6th, 2017 07:00

Here are the options you have with the two switches.

- Stack the switches, but then you cannot run VRRP. You would need another switch that is not in the stack in order to run VRRP.

- Not stack the switches, and run VRRP.

- configure MLAG and use VRRP. MLAG has some caveat though, and I suggest reading through this document.

http://dell.to/1IpFYpV

6 Posts

June 6th, 2017 17:00

Thanks Daniel for the reply.

What is the pro and cons from 3 options above in general?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 7th, 2017 07:00

The first two options are dependent upon which feature you find more valuable in your network. Both features provide a form of redundancy.

With stacking you can configure both switches as if they were one, You can have a LAG split between the two switches in the stack, but firmware updates require some downtime.

VRRP provides redundancy, you can take one switch down without affecting the other. Both switches need to be configured independent from the other, a LAG cannot be split between the switches.

MLAG can work with VRRP, so you get the best of both worlds, but MLAG does not support singled homed devices, all devices must have a LAG connecting to the MLAG switches.

6 Posts

May 10th, 2022 06:00

- Stack the switches, but then you cannot run VRRP. You would need another switch that is not in the stack in order to run VRRP.

do yo mean VRRP cant be run on stacked switch or its not necessary to run VRRP if the switch is in stack.

if 2 pair of stacked stacked switches, can each stack configure VRRP for redundancy?

No Events found!