Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 4th, 2014 20:00

Bizarre PowerConnect 3548P VoIP call connect behavior, with mixed variety of Cisco IP phones?

I have an isolated VoIP VLAN/subnet that I'm using for my corporate telephony but am experiencing a bizarre behavior with my network which is a mix of Cisco IP79xx phones (enterprise grade) and Cisco SPA50x phones (lower quality consumer grade.)

Both sets of phones are on the most current firmware, as are the Cisco phones, and the phones can all initiate a 'ring' to the other models.  However,  the SPA50x phones can ONLY transit/receive voice traffic to other SPA50x phones, and the IP79xx phones can ONLY transmit/receive voice traffic to other IP79xx phones.   

A SPA50x phone, when picked up, can't receive or send voice to an IP79xx phone, and vice-versa.

Would this have anything to do with the OUIs defined in the 3548P firmware?   The switch is on the most current firmware (2.0.0.53) so I'm stumped why the phones can't ALL connect and tx/rx voice packets to each other?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 5th, 2014 06:00

Are the phone in the same subnet and vlan? or are the SPA50x in one subnet and IP79xx  in a different subnet? 

9 Posts

March 5th, 2014 09:00

Both sets of phones, along with the VoIP PBX, are on the same flat subnet/VLAN.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 5th, 2014 10:00

The OUI should already be on the switch, you can check with the command:

#show voice vlan

If the OUI is not present i would add it.

If you can post up your config we can look through for any suggested changes.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

The OUI identifies the traffic as coming from voice source. You might consider setting up a port monitoring session and monitor how the traffic is being handled. Whether the switch is dropping it, or it makes it the phone but is dropped there.

9 Posts

The Cisco OUI listed in the switch does not match up with the OUIs on our Cisco phones.  In fact there are at least a half dozen different OUIs, if I look at the MACs on the backs of a number of the same model phones here.

And how would that explain why one model of Cisco phone can connect and tx/rx voice to its SAME model of phone on the VLAN, while not being able to communicate with different models on the same VLAN?

No Events found!