Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 22nd, 2010 07:00

CWDM SFP on 8024F

Hi,

I've used cisco-compatible CWDM sfp's with success on 6024 and 6224, but those won't work on a 8024F (sfp+ compatibility issue ?), they are detected with "trasmit failure'

Do you have any idea of a cwdm sfp that will work in a 8024F ?

I've looked around and saw that the sfp's and sfp+'s that shipped with my 8024F were, in fact, Finisar sfp. Afert searching more I've identified the model

FWLF1524P2Vxx as a potential candidate for me, but given their price, I would really appreciate if somebody ever used with succes any CWDM sfp in a 8024(F)...

thanks

909 Posts

June 22nd, 2010 12:00

CWDM SFPs are currently not supported on the 8024F.   These switches only allow transceivers that have "SFP/SFP+" identifiers in their flash.   CWDM SFP identifiers are not the same.

22 Posts

June 24th, 2010 03:00

CWDM SFPs are currently not supported on the 8024F.   These switches only allow transceivers that have "SFP/SFP+" identifiers in their flash.   CWDM SFP identifiers are not the same.

Why such restriction? If the module says it's SFP+, enable it for 10 GE operation, any other module just for 1 GE.

1 Message

February 2nd, 2011 11:00

Why such restriction? If the module says it's SFP+, enable it for 10 GE operation, any other module just for 1 GE.

I just want to follow up on your question regarding the restrictions. CWDM and DWDM SFP and SFP+ are defined by on other Multi Source Aggreement compared to SX and SR or LX and LR SFP and SFP+. Hence they do have different identifiers.

But there is a solution. We gathered some experience in the last years on such issue to get CWDM and DWDM optics up and running.

4 Posts

October 27th, 2016 05:00

Sorry for bringing this topic from death, but would anyone confirm if PC 8024F does NOT support CWDM optics (SFP or SFP+), even on newer firmware ?

i have just received a 8024F from a customer, but it does not support some SFP CWDM (20km and 80km). I will try with a SFP+ CWDM 80KM module to see if the switch ignores it also.

But I would like some confirmation if this switch really does not support CWDM optics at all :(

best regards,

Adilson Ribeiro

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 27th, 2016 14:00

I am not able to find any information confirming that these transceivers will work. While testing, I suggest ensuring the firmware is up to date.

http://dell.to/2eKovOu

4 Posts

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for your answer.

EDIT: I performed a firmware update to the version you liked on your answer before the tests.

I have tested today with one 80km SFP CWDM (Bidirectional, simplex fiber) module made by OVERTEK, and the switch rejects it with some message regardind invalid transceiver inserted (or something like that - i'm without access to the switch rigth now).

I also tested with one 20km BIDI CWDM module from Mikrotik, it got rejected with the same message.

Another module, this time a "regular" 40km duplex fiber got accepted, tomorrow we must finish the link termination on the other site to confirm if it works.

And last, but not least, we must receive two SFP+ module pairs by monday, one of them SFP+ ZR 10gbps 80KM (duplex fiber), and another 80KM BIDI (simplex fiber), and will be able to test them.

i will post some information here next week.

That would be very nice if we can use CWDM gigabit modules on them, as we are hoping to terminate some gigabit links to remote locations on this equipment, and today they run on CWDM link and modules on another equipamen, but it must be replaced already.

By the way, i could not find a SFP/SFP+ compatibility list for tha 8024F switch anywhere, is there such a list buried in the Dell website that you are aware of?

Best Regards,

Adilson Ribeiro

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

I am not aware of a compatibility list on our website. Here are the Dell transceivers I show to be compatible with the switch.

SFP-1G-SX  = GF76J
SFP-1G-LX  = J6FGD
SFP-1G-T    = 8T47V
SFP-10G-SR= WTRD1
SFP-10G-LR= RN84N
SFP-10G-LRM= HMTNW

That is the only kind of list I have.

4 Posts

October 27th, 2016 16:00

Hi Daniel,

thanks again for your prompt reply.

I see your list does not have longer ranges SFP/SFP+ modules (we need both 40KM and 80KM), but do you know any report of users sucessfully using these longer range modules in this switch model?

another thing, is there a list of those "dev" commands that we can use to get more information about the modules or its compatibility status ?

for example, the command "dev cpldTest" show us when the modules are present, which is useful when the switch does not recognizes DOM/DDM information that could be shown with the command "show fiber-ports optical-transceiver".

Best regards,

Adilson Ribeiro

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 28th, 2016 07:00

I apologize, I do not have any documentation on the available dev commands. Some of the newer switches support ZX transceivers, but not the 8000 series. This is just a presumption, but I imagine that there is a physical limitation on this model switch. This limitation hinders it from being able to communicate properly across long distances. Please keep us posted, I am interested to see if you are able to get this working at all.

4 Posts

October 29th, 2016 11:00

Hi Daniel, 

thanks for your response.

I have tested some SFP and SFP+ modules and for now, we only had success with "short" range modules.

we tested:

SFP Multi Mode 500m - recognized corretly, showed DOM/DDM information

SFP Single Mode 10Km - recognized corretly, showed DOM/DDM information

SFP Single Mode, BIDI/CWDM 20km - reported as invalid transceiver

SFP Single Mode 40km - reported as invalid

SFP Single Mode 80km BIDI/CWDM- reported as invalid

SFP+ Single Mode 80km - reported as invalid

SFP+ DAC Cable - ok

I only had one pair of SFP+ modules (80KM), so my 10gbps test was limited, but it seems to be in line with your last response regarding the longe range modules not being supported.

thank you very much for your help! :)

Best regards,

Adilson Ribeiro

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 31st, 2016 07:00

Thanks for sharing your findings, good info to have here in the community. I am sure it will help others who are in a similar situation.

No Events found!