Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 30th, 2022 03:00

Change port profile on S4148T-ON while in SmartFabric mode

I have a pair of S4148T-ON:s running as part of a multi-rack SmartFabric.

I would like to change the port profile on these switches, but the docs indicate that they will lose all configuration upon changing the profile. I assume that includes the SmartFabric settings as well.

Can anyone advise on whether it's possible to switch the profile without breaking the SmartFabric, or if it's a safe manoeuvre to change the profile and then reinitialize the SFS with the "smartfabric l3fabric enable..." command?

• 

3.7K Posts

August 31st, 2022 10:00

Hello QTRnD,

Those steps look good, you can see it follows the documentation:

Dell SmartFabric Services User Guide Release 10.5.4,

Page 67 : https://dell.to/3czQgvL

*Can I use the different switch port profiles available on S4148F-ON in SmartFabric mode?

Yes, all six profiles available on S4148F-ON can be used in SmartFabric mode as follows:

1. Set the appropriate port profile for the switch in Full Switch mode.

CAUTION: Changing the switch port profile resets the system defaults and overwrites the existing switch

configuration. You must reconfigure the setting on a switch manually after applying the new port profile.

2. Reload the switch to apply the new port profile.

3. Enable SFS on the switch to change the switch mode to SmartFabric. After enabling SFS, the switch reboots in

SmartFabric mode and uses the set port profile.

NOTE: For more information about port profiles, see SmartFabric OS10 User Guide. This procedure is applicable only on

S4148F-ON platform as S4148FE-ON and S4148U-ON switches are not supported in SFS deployments.

• 

3.7K Posts

August 30th, 2022 08:00

Hello QTRnD

You are correct it will erase the configuration:

https://dell.to/3AYVfPY

Changing the port-profile will erase almost the entire switch configuration, with only a few exceptions.

Can you tell me the OS version you are on and your desired configuration?

3 Posts

August 30th, 2022 23:00

Thank you, that was as I suspected then.

We are on OS10 v10.5.2.3 and I'd like to change the port profile from profile-1 to profile-3 (looking at this page for reference)

Some downtime would be acceptable here. My approach given what I've managed to find out so far would be

1. Ensure that all devices connected to ports 1-4 and 51-54 are moved to other ports on the switches that will remain active after profile change.
  2. Change the port profile on switch 1 in the pair. Reboot and lose config, switch will drop from Smart Fabric.
  3. Put the switch back into Smart Fabric mode.
  4. Wait for SFS to reapply all configuration.
  5. Repeat 2-4 for switch 2.

3 Posts

August 31st, 2022 23:00

Thank you! Then we know how to proceed with this.

No Events found!