Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 8th, 2015 10:00

Connecting Fiber to 6224

Hi all,

I have a power connect 6224 and when I plug in a SPF with Fiber I do not get a link light.  Moving the fiber to other nearby switches results in an instant link.  I have look at the interface status and all ports are enabled. I am a little confused because the 4 SPF ports are labelled the same some of the Ethernet ports, so I am not to sure on what port I need to check using the CLI.

I have done a factory reset and still no luck.  I am having the same issue on another 6224 where both these switches used to be stacked.  In troubleshooting I removed the stacking cables and modules but still no link.

Any thoughts?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 8th, 2015 14:00

Ports 21-24 are combo ports. This means that they can be used as either Copper or Fiber ports, but not both at the same time. That is the first thing I would check. You can also test the ports by doing a simple loopback test. If you plug port 23 into port 24, they should come up. You can use the following command to do a basic diagnostic on the ports: #show fiber-ports optical-transceiver. If the 6224 is running out of date firmware, getting the firmware up to date can help with overall operability.

http://dell.to/1R1ADGM

Do you have the part number of the transceiver being used?

4 Posts

October 9th, 2015 05:00

thanks for the reply and info.  The firmware has been updated and I test the loop back.  Part # on the SPF module  is FTLF8519P2BNL.  When I plug this module and fiber into an older 5224 switch I get an link light right away.  

Some reason reason the switch still thinks its part of a stack.  I removed the stacking cables and modules but still shows 48 ports.  

Thanks again

4 Posts

October 9th, 2015 09:00

Resolved.  issue was related to the SPF module, I was using an 850nm but needed the 1350nm.

The setup is for a building to building connection.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 12th, 2015 08:00

Good job! glad to hear you got this sorted out.

Cheers

7 Posts

September 18th, 2018 00:00

Dear Daniel Covey,

I'm youphak. I'm configuring dell S4128f and now I have problem with with connection from SM SFP module port to SM Media Convertor we i turn off power and turn on power again connection unreachable with IP Camera.

Note: IP Camera connection from Media Convertor.

Thanks,

Youphak.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 18th, 2018 06:00

When you power off and on which device? The media converter, switch, or camera? What troubleshooting have you done up to this point? Have you found anything that will get the link back up? Is anything recorded in the logs? #show logging

7 Posts

September 19th, 2018 03:00

Dear Daniel Covey,

We power off for all device media converter, switch and camera. when we turn power on the Line SD and PWR on media convertor is on. Camera link to media convertor is up. SFP link is up but the connection unreachable.

below is interface detail:

interface ethernet1/1/9
 switchport access vlan 64
 no shutdown
 negotiation on

Below is record log:

[os10:trap], %Dell EMC (OS10) %log-notice:IFM_OSTATE_UP: Interface operational state is up :ethernet1/1/9

[os10:trap], %Dell EMC (OS10) %log-notice:IFM_OSTATE_UP: Interface operational state is up :ethernet1/1/11

thanks,

Youphak.

No Events found!