Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 12th, 2016 14:00

DHCP over VLANs

I've been trying to implement some VLAN segmentation and network access control on our network.  Our entire network currently runs on VLAN 1.  We're starting with the NAC project which has a DHCP server just for controlling rogue devices, but I haven't been able to pull a device.

My current configuration is as follows

SW1 (PC 3448) port 48 (this is the uplink port) mode general allow/add VLAN 16 (NAC Network) & 15 tagged

SW1 port 14 mode access PVID 16

SW2 (PC 3548) port 41 (uplink to SW1 port 48) mode general allow/add VLAN 16, 15 tagged

SW2 port 44 (uplink to firewall) mode general allow/add VLAN 16,15 tagged

So when the host PC is connected to a VLAN 1 port it can get DHCP from the VLAN 1 server (the firewall in this case), but when connected to the 16 VLAN it's not able to grab an address.  I've mirrored port 48 SW1 and ran a wire shark on this port.  When the host is on VLAN 1 I can see the return DHCP ACKs and so on.  When the host is on VLAN 16 I can see the initial broadcast, but there are no other DHCP messages.  I don't think the requests are passing this first switch to the rest of the network.

I've tried trunking the ports, trunk --> general, general --> trunk, trunk-->trunk, and even played around with using access mode.  With nothing to show for it.

Any help would be great.

• 

8.7K Posts

October 13th, 2016 13:00

Hi,

Since the 34xx and 35xx switches are only layer 2, they do not have a DHCP relay feature that layer three switches have to allow DHCP to traverse VLANs. It would have to be configured on your router or firewall. 

No Events found!