Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

E

July 20th, 2018 07:00

DSCP Tagging on Dell Force10 S4048T-ON

I am trying to configure some basic tagging at the port level. I simply want to tag or re-tag all inbound traffic on a port with a new DSCP value. On N2000 series switches this is easy and straight forward using something like below:

class-map match-all ALL_Class ipv4
match any
exit
policy-map VoIP_Policy in
class ALL_Class
mark ip-dscp 46
exit interface ethernet 1/g1 service-policy in VoIP_Policy exit

However, when trying to complete the same task on FTOS, I can't find an easy way to match all traffic. The best information I can find about doing this is from the following link: https://www.force10networks.com/CSPortal20/TechTips/0010_PacketMarkingSampleConfig.aspx

It appears I need to either create an IP ACL or match by VLAN ID. But, my concern is with a port that is untagged, where I want to tag all traffic accordingly no matter what comes across it. Additionally, it appears I need to assign the policy to a service queue, which I don't want to do either.

Some other questions... If I create a class-map with no matching criteria, does it just match everything? Does it matter if it's a match-any or match-all? Does all traffic on each port get dropped into a service queue by default?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

• 

8.7K Posts

July 20th, 2018 13:00

Hi,

I am not seeing another way to do it that is more like the N series switches. All traffic is mapped to queue 0 by default. Page 744 https://downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_ser_stor_net/esuprt_networking/force10-s4048-on_administrator_guide17_en-us.pdf

July 23rd, 2018 08:00

OK, fair enough. The following config works to assign DSCP values to traffic pretty easily when the port is untagged to a specific VLAN.

ip access-list standard allow_all
 seq 5 permit any
exit
class-map match-all all_class
 match ip access-group allow_all
exit
qos-policy-input voip_qos_policy
 set ip-dscp 46
exit
policy-map-input voip_in_policy
 service-queue 0 class-map all_class qos-policy voip_qos_policy
exit
interface te 1/1
 service-policy input voip_in_policy
exit

However, here is the issue I have run into. I want to assign DSCP values to traffic based on VLAN ID to other ports that carry tagged traffic. It's simple enough to create a new class-map that specifies the VLAN ID to match against, but when it comes to assigning the qos policy to the port or the policy-map-input, it appears I am limited to the total number of service-queues on the system. On a policy-map-input, I can only assign up to 8 service-queue calls on each separate service queue (i.e. service-queue 0, service-queue 1, etc.) as using the service-queue command in the policy-map-input with the same queue number overwrites the previous command. In addition, only one service-policy is allowed per interface port.

How can I overcome this limitation of assigning DSCP values to traffic based on VLAN ID if the number of VLANs on a port exceeds the number of service-queues the system supports?

I am surprised that this limitation appears not to exist in the N2000 series switches, but is a limitation in the S4000's. This has to be a problem with how I am doing this and my lack of knowledge of FTOS.

Thanks for any help.

• 

8.7K Posts

July 23rd, 2018 17:00

I have not found another way to do it that will allow for more.Maybe someone in the community has found a way to do it.

No Events found!