Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

December 31st, 2008 09:00

Dell Power Connect 2716 - Cannot login to web-based managed mode

Hi there,

I'm having some real problems logging in via managed mode. The switch is configured to managed mode...the LED Is solid green as should be, and the default IP is 192.168.2.1.

I can access the web page fine, and the login page pops up. I enter ''admin'' and then leave the password field blank as stated, but when I click ok all I get is:

''ERROR

User name or password missing''

It's like it's not recognising that I’m entering text into the field, is the software corrupt? And how can I fix this?

Is there anywhere else I’m going wrong here? How can I completely reset the switch to make sure it hasn't retained any funny settings?

March 11th, 2012 06:00

From the manual:

The following information must be obtained from the network administrator before configuring

the device:

• The IP address to be assigned to the VLAN 1 interface through which the device is to be

managed (by default, every port is a member of the VLAN 1 in Managed Mode).

• The IP subnet mask for the network

• The default gateway (next hop router) IP address for configuring the default route.

The system supports Embedded Web Server (EWS), which serves HTML pages through which the

device can be monitored and configured. The switch supports the following browsers: Microsoft IE

V6.x and higher, and Mozilla. The system internally configures the device according to Web-based

input (including menu selections, mouse clicks, etc.).

The device is delivered in Unmanaged Mode. The device must be changed to Managed Mode

before it can be configured. To change to Managed Mode, the device must be fully operational in

Unmanaged Mode (Managed Mode LED has stopped blinking and is off). Once the Managed

Mode LED has stopped blinking, press the Managed Mode button. The switch reboots and the

Managed Mode LED blinks for approximately 90 seconds and stays lit. When the Managed Mode

LED stays lit, the switch is ready to be configured. The default IP address is 192.168.2.1, the

default User Name is 'admin', and the default password is left blank.

The following login screen is displayed when the device is first connected:

March 11th, 2012 06:00

I believe there is a reset procedure too to get it back into un managed mode to start over.

5 Posts

March 11th, 2012 12:00

Thanks for the reply, I too read the manual and saw these instructions and have followed them but I can not seem to get the device to enter "managed mode". Additionally, when connected to a router which has an active internet connection and connecting a computer to the switch I can not access the internet. Restarting the modem and router prior to attaching the switch was also unsuccessful.

The lights for each port light up and blink as if receiving/sending data, but that's it.

I have another switch (only a Mbit) which I can connect in this same fashion and it works...I would have expected this one to work the same way.

I'm leaning towards a bad switch, but would like to troubleshoot it completely.

Can anyone tell me if pushing the managed mode button should result in some immediate response or what?  I know the managed mode light should start blinking, but when? Right away, after holding the button in for a certain amount of time, or what?

Again, I have the 2716 model.

March 11th, 2012 13:00

I think you have 10 seconds to STOP managed mode on reboot. I've reset these before and the reset procedure does work. There could be a firmware issue too.

Confirm the managed mode LED is on. If it is not on, press the Managed Mode button. The switch then transitions into managed mode. Download the firmware and reboot the switch

Connect to a different port on the switch. Download the firmware and reboot the switch.

Reset the switch to the default configuration. Hold down the Managed Mode button for several seconds. The switch then boots to unmanaged mode. Let the switch boot completely, then press the Managed Mode button. The switch boots back to managed mode with the default configuration. Download the firmware and reboot the switch.

March 11th, 2012 13:00

5 Posts

March 11th, 2012 15:00

Again, to all, thanks for the quick replies. But no luck still. This is a version A01 of the switch. Taking the cover off to look for any bad components shows everything looks ok, no popped capacitors at least. The little switch used to change it to managed mode could be bad I guess, I'll try and test that. Or the led for managed mode could be not working, but I've tried after each switch holding session to access the device using the 192.168.2.1 address with no luck.

Other wise I'm stuck. It's probably a dead switch, which is why it was in the thrift store to begin with.

Any other suggestions?

5 Posts

March 11th, 2012 18:00

I tested the switch with a multimeter, it appears to function properly.

2 Posts

October 5th, 2012 04:00

I had the same problem and I had solved it.

With firefox 15.0.1 and Explorer 9.0.8112 don't have access to 2716

Clear cache don't have effect.

Trying with a old PC with firefox 3.0.17 I have access with default user "admin" and blank password (after reset with step from unmanaged to managed)

Firmware version on 2716     1.0.1.07 and boot version 1008

Mattia

2 Posts

October 5th, 2012 05:00

It's ok Explorer 8.0.6001 too...

Mattia

1 Message

January 8th, 2013 09:00

I had the same problem too. Here's how i fixed it:

1. Set your PC to the following settings:
IP 192.168.2.2
subnet mask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.2.1
dns 192.168.2.1

Make sure sure you change the gateway and dns to 192.168.2.1.  This is usually why people get this error.  If you don't change it, it will let you get into the login screen but then it gives you the username/PW error.

2. Use IE web browser.

3. Turn off all firewall/antivirus protection

1 Message

April 24th, 2013 22:00

I am having the same problem. Saw on a diffrent forum that someone looked at the packets and saw a problem. Something along the line the data being split between multiple packets. Over my head. His suggested bandaid was to use an older browser so i have been using ice-weasel on a linux machine with no problems. Sure wish i could finger out the acual issue. Hope this helps. Guess this is why i only paid 30.00 for my 2724

No Events found!