Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 7th, 2018 19:00

Discuss about N3024 Log

Hi guys,

I'd like to discuss the log after released the N3024 switch into my currently running system.

I did check the log and received a few error/warning/notice points, these are:

① ERROR - SUPPORT-ASSIST: Unable to resolve hostname: 'stor.g3.ph.dell.com'.

② ERROR - 

-1 DOT1S[dtlTask]: dot1s_txrx.c(269) 3258 %% dot1sBpduReceive(): Discarding the BPDU, since it is an invalid BPDU type

③ WARNING - Received ARP Request on interface Vl13 with bad target IP address 255.255.255.255. Sender IP is 

, sender MAC is 

④ NOTICE - Failed to send 

byte message to ::ffff:

on socket with fd 34. Error 22 (Invalid argument).

So, the question is "How do I solve those problems without a big affecting the running system?

And how to make them never be happened again?"

Sorry again, 'cause I'm not enough experience for acknowledging which those messages are

I'm looking forward to hearing all of your response.

Thank you for your consideration

Dai

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 15th, 2018 07:00

The switch is logging messages because of the actions of other devices on the network. Getting the switch and those devices updated can help with overall device operability. I cannot guarantee that the updates will prevent the devices from performing these actions, but it is a step in the right direction.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 19th, 2018 06:00

That is correct, updating is checking each device for drivers, firmware, software, operating system, to be sure they are at the latest revision.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 8th, 2018 05:00

It is perfectly normal to see some messages logged. Things like notices and warnings can be informational and do not always require action. Do these warnings and notices seem to reoccur regularly? Or is it just this once instance?

Are you utilizing the support assist feature? If not, then disabling support assist should take care of the first message. https://dell.to/2sQNPKx

What firmware revision is the switch running?

June 10th, 2018 19:00

Hi Daniel,

Thank you for your response.

Regarding your questions, I'd like to answer as below:

For the notices messages, until now, I do not see anything such like that. But for the warning message, it's still be logged, how could I resolve them?

With the error came from disabling support assist, I'll try to do as your suggestion. I'll inform later!

By the way, the current firmware (as I think it's the same with system software version, isn't it?) is 6.3.1.8

→ I checked the latest version is 6.5.x.x but our business now is in the busy state, then my manager does not approve for the upgrade version method yet. Then, I must try to find another way to fix this problem. Please help me show what they are! 

Regards,

Dai

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 11th, 2018 06:00

The warning message includes the IP and MAC of the device sending the invalid packet. Have you tracked down this device? If so, what device is it? What role does it serve on the network?

June 11th, 2018 19:00

Hi Daniel,

I'll response your questions as below:

@Anonymous wrote:

The warning message includes the IP and MAC of the device sending the invalid packet. Have you tracked down this device? If so, what device is it? What role does it serve on the network?

→ Sure, I tracked & checked it already, and they're just ordinary terminals. 

And I wonder why those only devices happened while the others do not. It sounds weird and I'm still stuck here!

By the way, how about the error that related to the firmware?

② ERROR - -1 DOT1S[dtlTask]: dot1s_txrx.c(269) 3258 %% dot1sBpduReceive(): Discarding the BPDU, since it is an invalid BPDU type

I spend all my yesterday searching for the way to solve that problem without upgrading the firmware, and I recognized that the BPDU has the relationship with the STP mode that enabled on this N3024 switch. 

Then, regarding my discussion before, that it should be enabled the STP mode for reducing the network-loop, but the other network devices are not be enabled this STP, then this kind of log is written - as I guessed.

Well, I think about 2 scenarios which deal with this problem but maybe not the best way:

1. Off the STP mode on N3024  switch for preventing this kind of such log. But I worry that the other problems will happen, won't it?

2. On the STP mode for the rest of network devices and solve the problem, is that right? I don't know 'cause they came from different vendors and I must inquiry each of them for getting the confirmation.

In conclusion, I'm in a dilemma now. What should I do? What is the best way to solve this problem?

Of course, in currently circumstance without upgrading firmware.

As an expert in networking, please give me some pieces of advice!

I'm highly appreciated with all your kind of help!

Thank you,

Dai

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 12th, 2018 07:00

What kind of device is the terminal? The device is sending packets to an invalid address. You know what is sending these packets, now you just need to find out why that device is sending those packets.

I do not suggest disabling spanning tree. It would be a good idea to standardize the spanning tree mode across the network, but disabling spanning tree is an invitation for more issues.

To track down where the BPDU is coming from, you can use the command show interfaces detail. This will show a counter for BPDUs received. You may be able to isolate an interface that is receiving BPDUs that should not be. A packet capture would also lend a lot of insight into these BPDUs.

June 12th, 2018 20:00

Hi Daniel,

For this issue,

@Anonymous wrote:

What kind of device is the terminal? The device is sending packets to an invalid address. You know what is sending these packets, now you just need to find out why that device is sending those packets.

→ First of all, I'm so sorry for misunderstanding here, 'cause I've just checked the device but not able to capture that those sent or received packets are, yet (because of my limitation on networking experience). By the way, this device is a printer. 

For more details, I will resend the latest content for this kind of log:

Severity       Log Time           Component      Description
Warning 2018/6/12 13:19 ARP Received ARP Request on interface Vl13 with bad target IP address 255.255.255.255. Sender IP is 192.168.12.151, sender MAC is 00:80:92:0e:43:f8.

→ Then, I used the command "show interfaces detail" for that port with the result as below, I hope it will help to find out something. 

L3Honsha#show interfaces detail gigabitethernet 1/0/19

Port      Description                 Duplex Speed   Neg  MTU   Admin Link
                                                                State State
--------- --------------------------- ------ ------- ---- ----- ----- -----
Gi1/0/19                              Full   100     Auto 1518  Up    Up

Port      Description
--------- ----------------------------------------------------------------------
Gi1/0/19

Flow Control: Enabled
Port: Gi1/0/19
VLAN Membership mode: Access Mode

Operating parameters:
PVID: 13
Ingress Filtering: Enabled
Acceptable Frame Type: Admit All
Default Priority: 0
GVRP status: Disabled
Protected: Disabled

Port Gi1/0/19 is member in:

VLAN    Name                              Egress rule   Type
----    --------------------------------- -----------   --------
13      192_168_12_0                      Untagged      Static

Static configuration:
PVID: 13
Ingress Filtering: Enabled
Acceptable Frame Type: Admit All

Port Gi1/0/19 is statically configured to:

VLAN    Name                              Egress rule
----    --------------------------------- -----------
13      192_168_12_0                      Untagged

Forbidden VLANS:
VLAN    Name
----    ---------------------------------

Port Gi1/0/19 Enabled State: Forwarding Role: Designated Port id: 128.19 Port Cost: 0 Port Fast: No (Configured: no ) Root Protection: No Designated bridge Priority: 0 Address: 28F1.0EF9.8F30 Designated port id: 128.19 Designated path cost: 0 CST Regional Root: 00:00:28:F1:0E:F9:8F:30 CST Port Cost: 0 BPDUs: Sent: 576273, Received: 0

* With all the supplied information above, if you need more for judging the issue is or the way to solve it. Please let me know!

Well, I just turn back to the left issue, first of all, please look at the graph below. Then, I'd like to explain some points, those are our running system is the side A and the side B is a future plan. And the red line is just a highlight for pay attention to the necessity of STP/RSTP mode. The dashed line is a backup line.

Then, if I turn off the STP mode for the side A, I also consider whether it will cause other issues or not. Do you agree with me? 

And vice versa, on the side B, it necessarily enables it, right?

L3Log.PNG

→ But another question is "Is really the best way to deal with this issue yet?", please help me to make it clear! 

Luckily, the error came from dell support-assist is solved but I'd like to add more the new kind of log that appeared after I turn off the Dell Support-Assist feature (maybe it's not the cause - I guess).

Severity       Log Time           Component      Description
Error  2018/6/13 7:11 IPV6 Received invalid ip6 packet on Vl10: TC 0x8c, flow 902752, length 33444, next head 255, hop lim 255, src 2038:3189:82a4:ffff:71:af88:82a4:ffff, dst a00::9079:dabd:fb6:ffff.

Finally, it's rather a long discussion, I'm so sorry about that but please help me to solve them! 

I'm looking forward to seeing your response.

Thanks & regards,

Dai

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 13th, 2018 09:00

The BPDU and ARP messages are separate, and I don’t believe are related to one another. When looking at the interface counters, you want to look for interfaces that are receiving BPDUs that should not be. The only interfaces that should be receiving BPDUs are those connecting to other networking devices, switches.

Unless there is an exuberant amount of these invalid packet, there is no performance impact to the switch. Updates can sometimes help. Are there any updates available for the devices that are sending invalid packets? Were you able to schedule a time to get the switches up to date?

June 14th, 2018 17:00

Hi Daniel,

Sorry for reply lately,

Until now with those issues came to and the best way to resolve all of them is upgrading firmware for the switch as I acknowledge. Is that right?

Well, I must make a proposal for my manager to get approving from him before deciding to do it. But if you have any recommendations or notices when upgrading the firmware, please let me know!

I'll update the status of this thread after all of the things done.

Thank you for your great help.

Dai

June 18th, 2018 17:00

Hi Daniel,

Thank you for your additional information,

For the N3024 - as I understood that is an action of upgrading firmware.

And the rest of devices on the network, I'm so sorry for do not understand the meaning of "update" clearly, with my limitation of understanding, I think it should be updated its NIC driver (Terminal PC) and firmware (router, switch, hubs...) to the latest version?

If my recognition is right, I'll plan to update all the devices on the network for synchronization.

Regards,

Dai

June 19th, 2018 17:00

Hi Daniel,

Thank you for your feedback and your support until now!

I'll check and do it and update the status later.

Thank you so much!

Dai

No Events found!