Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 17th, 2017 14:00

Enable "switchport" command from CLI

Hi, All,

I got a dell x4012 switch and would like to use it in a lab environment. I plan to script the running-config via SSH, to dynamically add or remove interfaces from a given vlan. However, to my surprise, I cannot find "switchport" command under interface configuration.

When I try to the configuration from the GUI, it works fine. And the"switchport" command configuration shown in running-config, e.g. after I did the config from GUI, then check it via SSH with "show run inter te1/0/6", it shows "switchport access vlan 300" under te1/0/6. However, if I try to type the same command under interface configuration, the command line interface complained unknown command. I'm not sure if this is a bug, or there are some other places I have enable it? I'm running the latest firmware 3.0.0.91

Best Regards

Daniel

• 

8.5K Posts

May 17th, 2017 16:00

The X series switches are focused on being configured from the GUI.  Not all commands are available in the CLI. 

3 Posts

May 18th, 2017 03:00

That's a sad news, seems I picked a wrong product...

Is there anything on the roadmap to add more commands to X-series cli?

And which series of product would have a full functional CLI? I'm looking for a 10G switch with more than 8 ports, which has Cisco style CLI to configure VLAN, L2 access port and trunk ports via CLI.

Best Regards

Daniel

• 

8.5K Posts

May 18th, 2017 09:00

I do not have any information on the future plans. The N series and the S series switches are full CLI. 

73 Posts

November 6th, 2018 11:00

Hi

Not that this helps you, but I also think this switch **bleep** big time!  If you lose access to the IP of the switch you can no longer configure in the GUI and you can't recover from the COM cli - very very bad!   All I needed to do was issue a no switchport command to get back in, but now I have to go 60 miles to fix it.

What did you do in the end, did you buy a different switch?

November 9th, 2018 13:00

Just tossing this out for consideration...

Have you entered the switch interface configuration subsystem first? On my switch (different than yours), you enter the interface name first, then define the VLAN it belongs to. Example:

interface gigabitethernet1/0/1
 switchport access vlan 300
!
interface gigabitethernet1/0/2
 switchport access vlan 300
!

73 Posts

November 12th, 2018 01:00

HI Joel

Unfortunately there is no option to add the switchport commands at the prompt, I can change to the interface but no switchport.  All I have at the interface config port is 

do, end, exit, help (which is no help), ip and lldp.

Even the Dell engineer was frustrated that there is so few commands at the prompt.

August 9th, 2019 16:00

You know, I was just being curios and I've downloaded the running configuration of the x1052p, and swithport is there.

This switch can run the command switchport, but is disabled for you to run it at will. So there are no hopes at all to be on a road map, because it always have been there.

interface gigabitethernet1/0/39
 switchport access vlan 10 
!
interface gigabitethernet1/0/40
 switchport access vlan 1000 
!
interface gigabitethernet1/0/41
 switchport mode trunk 
 switchport access vlan 1000 
 switchport trunk native vlan 255 
 switchport trunk allowed vlan remove 3-9,15,17-167,169-254,256-999 
 switchport trunk allowed vlan remove 1006-1099,1110-1167,1169-1999 
 switchport trunk allowed vlan remove 2003-4094 
!

The sad part is that we just upgraded to a N1548 and we had to give up the rails for rack mounting, so it is annoying to see a "cheap" switch like the X1052 to be equipped with rails but with a limited CLI interface and get a more expensive switch loosing some features that are included in a lower end one.

No Events found!