Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 9th, 2010 07:00

Firmware 3.2.0.9 and untagging multiple VLANs...

I have an existing thread with an issue regarding untagging for multiple VLANs for one port, but since posting I have figured out a workaround but with issue.  The original thread can be found here: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/network-switches/f/866/p/19350480/19781029.aspx

For all purposes that matter, I now have a port that is untagged for both VLAN 1 (our data network) and VLAN 10 (our voice network).  We have one system that needs to talk to both networks at the same time.  That system has a static IP address on VLAN 10 (192.168.10.x) and runs our attendant/switchboard console for our phone system.  There is also a phone connected in the middle of the connection (ethernet port to phone, phone to computer) that is tagged as VLAN 10.  The computer doesn't have a network card capable of VLAN tagging so I have the ports setup to untag both VLAN 1 and VLAN 10 to this port.

The switchboard software runs just fine with this setup and the phone runs fine.  For most purposes the data network VLAN 1 (192.168.1.x) runs just fine, but we have one terminal program that we use to access a UNIX based ERP system.  This is used during downtime when the switchboard isn't busy.  Unfortunately since upgrading to 3.2.0.9 from 2.2.0.3, we can no longer use this software.  We get the first couple of screens (e.g. login screen) for our unix system and can logon, but it just freezes after that.  It's like the switch doesn't like that traffic going over the port so it just shuts it out.

Hopefully this all makes sense to someone.  Things worked perfectly under 2.2.0.3 but with 3.2.0.7/9 it doesn't work as expected and I had to do a weird workaround to even get it to work that much.

Does anyone have any insight as to what I can try to get things working normally on that port?

Thanks!

16 Posts

December 13th, 2010 03:00

It seems as though this issue has been resolved.  I simply added a network card to support tagging and added a VLAN on that card to accept/send over VLAN 10.  I then tagged VLAN 10 to that port on the switch and untagged VLAN 1 traffic for that port.

I see now that having more than one untagged port isn't a supported setup, but I'm curious as to why it worked so flawlessly under the 2.x firmware.

16 Posts

December 9th, 2010 07:00

In thinking about it, is it even possible to have multiple untagged VLANs going to a single port?  If not, how in the heck would I set this up so I could access both VLANs?  If I stick a network card in the computer that support VLAN tagging, I suppose that may take care of the issue?  Then I could just tag VLAN 10 on the port and untag VLAN 1?  Does that make sense to anyone?

Here's the output for the port in question from the console:

console#show interfaces switchport ethernet 3/g19

Port: 3/g19

VLAN Membership mode:General Mode 

Operating parameters:

PVID: 10      

Ingress Filtering: Enabled     

Acceptable Frame Type: Admit All    

Default Priority: 0            

GVRP status:Disabled

Protected:Disabled 

Port 3/g19 is member in: