Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 8th, 2013 07:00

Force10 Trunking, Vlans and LAG

I'm using vSphere and have one vSwitch that has multiple port groups configured, including 2 that are assigned Vlans IDs, and one management network with no Vlan ID.  That vSwitch will use teamed physical NICs to carry that traffic to a physical Dell Force10 MXL switch.  From my understanding of standard networking, a trunk port should be configured  and vlans should be added to that trunk port as tagged, while traffic that has no Vlan ID is left untagged and defaults to the default vlan (typically Vlan 1).  The picture attached is the topology I have and I need to make this work but don't have much experience with Force10 switches and so far it seems very different.  Also, if it's relevant, the external switch labeled in the diagram is actually 2 separate Force10 switches stacked, and there are two connections from the other switch (currently an unmanaged 6224) between the Firewall and F10s which is a separate issue - should those be configured as a LAG on both the F10s and the 6224? One or the other?  Neither?  Can someone help with the configuration for this topology?  Please help me out here.  Thanks!

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 8th, 2013 08:00

Currently, the best method to get assistance/recommendations with the Force10 hardware, is through the Force10 support group. They will be able to more promptly and accurately assist you with this inquiry.

www.force10networks.com/.../ContactSupportGen.aspx

Looking at one of the Force10 white pages it looks like a Trunk can be setup with these commands.

Configure Tagged VLANs for a Trunk Port Interface

MXL2#configure MXL2(conf)#interface vlan 11

MXL2(conf-if-vl-11)#tagged tengigabitethernet 0/1

MXL2(conf-if-vl-11)#no shutdown

MXL2(conf-if-vl-11)#exit

MXL2(conf)#interface vlan 12

MXL2(conf-if-vl-12)#tagged tengigabitethernet 0/1

MXL2(conf-if-vl-12)#no shutdown

MXL2(conf-if-vl-12)#exit

MXL2(conf)#exit MXL2#

en.community.dell.com/.../download.aspx

Thanks.