Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 10th, 2013 12:00

How to modify the time that stacks convergence on Dell PowerConnect 8164

I've create a stack between two Dell PowerConnect switches 8164.
But i want to know if i could modify the times it takes to converge the converge time between them, i mean...i remove all the cables of stacking (so no conection between switches), and then connect them...it takes something between 3-5 minutes for full convergence.
Is there a customization here?
Regards! 

802 Posts

July 10th, 2013 12:00

There are no customization options on the re-convergence of a stack.  It is basically kicking of a reboot of the OS on the box.

1 Rookie

• 

75 Posts

July 10th, 2013 14:00

Ok, thank you!

So my 3-5 minutes for full convergece, is ok, right?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 11th, 2013 12:00

When you remove the stacking cables you are forcing the switch to then go into a standalone mode. Then when you add the stacking cables back, the switch has to reboot and enter stacking mode again. So this time comes from the reboots of the switch.

A better test is to pull the power cable on the master, watch the management fail over to the secondary, then power back on the master and watch it join the stack as secondary.  

3-5 minutes is normal time for what you are describing.

1 Rookie

• 

75 Posts

July 11th, 2013 14:00

Let's continue conversation...we pull the power cable on the master...wait when the management failover to the seconday, then power back power on master....and you say it will join the stack as secondary....NOW MY QUESTION:

Is it possible that one of the switches to be selected everytime the master???

Regards!

1 Rookie

• 

75 Posts

July 12th, 2013 06:00

Yes, i know how it works, but i want to HARD CODE, that everytime...if both of the switches are online, only one of them to be the master, the other to be standby.

Regards!

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 12th, 2013 06:00

A standby unit is preconfigured in the stack. If the current stack master fails,

the standby unit becomes the stack master. If no switch is pre-configured as

the standby unit, the software automatically selects a standby unit from the

existing stack units.

GUI

Use the Unit Configuration page to change the unit number and unit type

(Management, Member, or Standby).

To display the Unit Configuration page, click System → Stack Management

→ Unit Configuration in the navigation panel.

CLI

#standby unit

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 12th, 2013 08:00

The instructions i gave are how to accomplish just that. In the stack you can manually set each switch to be the

Management(master)

Member(just a regular member of the stack)

Standby(will take the role of master in the even the master fails)

You can run a #show stack command or go to system>stack management>stack summary , to view which switch is the master, member, standby.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

After you set you switches to Master, standby, and member. If the master fails/removed, the standby should then become the master. Then when the old master is brought back online it should then become the new standby.

1 Rookie

• 

75 Posts

Yes, when the master that fails, comes online again...it will be selected as standy, but i want it to be ALWAYS THE MASTER.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 12th, 2013 09:00

I am not seeing a method to force a stack member to take over the master role once it comes back into the stack.

I will continue to look though, and if i find a way i will post up.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 12th, 2013 11:00

I confirmed that there currently is not a way to make a switch preemptively become the master again once it has rejoined the stack. You would need to manually do so in the GUI or CLI.

No Events found!