Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 29th, 2016 23:00

IP Netdirbcast

Hi All,

Can someone please explain to me how this command works?  My scenario is that i have an SCCM primary site server in a different site and i need Wake on Lan working.

I can use SCCM to wake my devices with the command configured on the int vlan's, but i am worried that it also then will enable PC broadcasts to traverse subnets, is this the case with this command?

With Cisco, i think you can configure redirected broadcasts and also use a source IP or ACL to only allow that one to be forwarded.  Is this at all possible on the Powerconnect 6248?

Thanks

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 30th, 2016 06:00

My understanding is that the command would allow broadcasts to be seen from other subnets. A packet capture would confirm this. The switch does support ACLs. With an IP ACL in place you could permit traffic to the specific server IP address, and deny other traffic. Here is a white paper that goes into further details about ACL support on the 6200 switch, and includes some examples.

http://dell.to/1AACg9V

20 Posts

June 30th, 2016 17:00

Thanks for the response, after enabling this on each VLAN i then ran wireshark on two PC's in separate subnets.

The results; Netbios broadcasts from PC's were contained within their VLANs and i WOL broadcast sent to PC's in one subnet was not seen in another.  I am hoping this is correct, i have not been able to get ACL's working to prevent unwanted access to SSH onto the switch let alone this!

A simple deny any any and placed under an int vlan config with ip access-list 1 in - will not prevent SSH access, i can still remote in!

I have been able to do this quite easily on a Cisco.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 6th, 2016 07:00

It sounds like you wont need to apply any ACL for this. Just to clarify, WOL is working? And you are not seeing broadcast traffic from other subnets? If so, this is good news.

20 Posts

July 6th, 2016 18:00

WOL seems to be working to the best of it's ability, where PC's actually respond to the packet.

And from what I could tell, broadcast traffic was contained within each subnet, ARPs from PC's remained within their network and WOL packets from SCCM went to the correct subnets and not the others.

No Events found!