Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

CP

June 4th, 2018 18:00

Import PFX certificate on PowerConnect 5500

I'm struggling with importing a TLS key and certificate on a PowerConnect 5548. Firmware is 4.1.0.21.

Page 188 of "Dell PowerConnect 5500 Series CLI Reference Guide" (Oct. 2013, Rev. A08) says "The certificate and key pair are exported in a standard PEM-format PKCS12 file", referring to a PKCS12 export; page 190 has an example of importing a PKCS12 file that seems to show a PEM-encoded certificate.

That's nice, but as far as I can tell PKCS12 is strictly a binary format. So what am I missing? How do I import my key and certificate?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 5th, 2018 05:00

It looks like you will need to use openssl to convert the binary to 

"This format can be converted to and from the binary PFX file used by Windows and Linux by using the openssl command-line tool. See an open source OpenSSL user manual (man pkcs12) for more information"

Here is the OpenSSL site, I believe this is the command referenced.

June 5th, 2018 14:00

So I had detailed reply written out, but the forum ate it.

The TL;DR version is:

1. There is no such thing as a base-64 PCKS12 file. Base-64 representations of certificates are, by definiton, PEM format.

2. After wasting hours on "crypto cert n import pkcs12", I am convinced that either the feature is broken, or it is so misdocumented that I have no hope of getting it to work. I'm going to write this off as a can't-fix.

March 8th, 2019 01:00

After a bit of trial and error I was able to use the function:
1- Generate CSR and private key, openssl generate the private key as PKCS8 
2- Generate Cert from the CSR in base64
2- Convert the private key from PKCS8  to PKCS1 (RSA), with openssl:
openssl rsa -in private.key -out private_rsa.key

3- Then on the import pkcs12 command past the cert base64 followed right after by the private key in the PKCS1 format then the line with the (.) and  enter

No Events found!