Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

February 9th, 2012 12:00

Issues with 4 stacked 6248's

Ive got 4 6248 powerconnect switches stacked.  It is setup as our core switch.  Ive been getting horrible ping times and consistent timeouts and cannot access the web interface.  However, its really weird because it doesn't seem to be affecting anything.  I am running PRTG network monitor and keep getting notifications that it goes down and then comes right back up.  I have not heard one person complain about network connectivity or internet loss.  Has anyone ever heard of any issue like this?  I really don't even know where to start.  Thanks for your help.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 10th, 2012 10:00

One of the first things I would suggest is to ensure all the switches are on the same firmware , and it is current.

www.dell.com/.../DriverFileFormats

After the firmware update If there are still issues I would look at a couple things.

Has this issue always been present? Or has It started since making any recent changes?

Try and narrow it down, is it traffic on one specific switch, or certain ports, or a certain Vlan?

Or is it all traffic?

Let us know what you find and we can bounce around ideas.

Thanks.

3 Posts

February 10th, 2012 10:00

this has not always been an issue, it just started and there have not been any changes made.  Will firmware updates lose the config?  I am not the person who originally set up this switch and i am worried about having to redo everything.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 10th, 2012 11:00

Updating the firmware will not affect the current configuration. You can always back up the configuration if you wanted to.

Not your exact switches, but gives you some ideas.

www.dell.com/.../app_note_12.pdf

support.dell.com/.../ReleaseNotes.pdf

Thanks

203 Posts

February 12th, 2012 13:00

I just deployed a stack of 4, 6248's as my core, and things are good.  Are these performance issues occuring on VLANs inside of the stack, and crossing over to other VLANs?  ...or is it all traffic.  You might want to share your config here so that you could get more feedback.

2 Posts

February 15th, 2012 01:00

Hi, We have a similar sounding problem over here. A stack of 2x 6224s working fine until we had a spike in traffic, now we've been unable to manage the stack except via the console for the last two weeks. A ping will occasionally get a reply, but only about 1 in 50. The suggestion from Dell tech support was to initiate a failover - we have a maintenance window to do this today, so I'll report back afterwards.

The stack is already on the latest firmware and has been running for about a month before this incident. There don't seem to be any other issues with the stack - traffic appears to be passing through fine - just can't access the web UI, SNMP or telnet / SSH.

2 Posts

February 15th, 2012 07:00

An update on the above - we initiated a failover during our maintenance window and issues connecting to management functions have been resolved. Interestingly, while we were experiencing issues we were getting the following output on the console. I'm guessing this is when the stack is trying to contact the ntp server.

<187> FEB 15 11:50:32 172.16.123.241-1 DNS_CLIEN[216402816]: dns_client_txrx.c(371) 49935 %% DNS Client: osapiSocketRecvFrom returned error for addr 0xCE60A90. Indicates there is a stack error in receiving the DNS response packet from the server.

13 Posts

February 17th, 2012 13:00

if dns is not required for switch management you could look to remove the ip addresses and see if it reduces the burden.

typically a switch setting for dns is used for the users managing the switch not the clients attached.

No Events found!