Start a Conversation

Unsolved

T

6 Posts

April 27th, 2021 03:00

LACP - Cannot add a dynamic member to a LAG with static members

Hello,

I need to configure lacp on 1548 stack (3 units). When I  try to add a port into port-channel I get his:

Cannot add a dynamic member to a LAG with static members

How to overcome this?

BTW, is there any best practise how to define an lacp on a 1500 series stack?

Thank you in advance for asap assistance.

regards,

Tomek

4 Operator

• 

2.9K Posts

April 27th, 2021 07:00

Hello,

Based on the error message, it looks like you're trying to create a mix of dynamic and static member ports, which won't work. Per the manual, "A LAG can be either static or dynamic, but not both." You'll want to address this however suits your current configuration, but it sounds like you'll need to convert the dynamic members to static members to get passed this message. Linked below is the CLI guide. You should find all the resources you need to make the necessary changes within.

https://dell.to/3eysj54;

6 Posts

April 27th, 2021 23:00

Hello,

Thank you for your response.

Unfortunately the link is not available: 404 - File or directory not found. Could you please resend me the valid link?

What I did was running under a one port only:

channel-group 1 mode active

and I got this information: Cannot add a dynamic member to a LAG with static members

regards,

Tomek

• 

3.4K Posts

April 28th, 2021 02:00

Hi,

I believe Dylan URL would be this: https://dell.to/32XeG9X. Page 672.

• 

2.4K Posts

April 28th, 2021 03:00

Hello, it depends on whether the ports you want to add are configured as Static or Dynamic.

"A LAG can be either static or dynamic, but not both. It cannot have some member ports participate in the protocol while other member ports do not participate. Additionally, it is not possible to change a LAG from static to dynamic via the CLI. You must remove the member ports from the static LAG and then add them to the dynamic LAG "

I also think the article here will help https://dell.to/3gFAWNQ 

Regards,

6 Posts

April 28th, 2021 03:00

Hello,

Thank you Joey. However I still have no idea how to overcome this?

regards,

Tomek

6 Posts

April 28th, 2021 05:00

Hello,

It might be I missed something but I did not find how to remove the member ports from the static LAG and then add them to the dynamic LAG. Could you please point to the exact page or commands etc.?

regards,

Tomek

• 

2.4K Posts

April 28th, 2021 07:00

interestingly, I could not find the commands for this. What is the full firmware version that works on N1548? maybe we should look again according to the version. I've been searching with curiosity ever since you posted your post and I haven't come across another case example that is exactly related to this error "Cannot add a dynamic member to a LAG with static members". You are using 3 N1548s as a stack and you want to configure LACP on it, I understand correctly?

4 Operator

• 

2.9K Posts

April 28th, 2021 15:00

The commands to remove a port from the group would look like this:

Interface gi1/0/2 (just an example port)

No channel-group

You could then add the port(s) to the correct channel group, depending on if you need dynamic or static.

6 Posts

April 28th, 2021 22:00

Hello,

I have 2x1548 and one 1548P: The firmware:

unit active backup current-active next-active
---- ----------- ----------- -------------- --------------
1 6.3.2.4 6.3.2.4 6.3.2.4 6.3.2.4
2 6.3.2.4 6.3.2.4 6.3.2.4 6.3.2.4
3 6.3.2.4 6.3.2.4 6.3.2.4 6.3.2.4

BTW, I have a separate N1548 also and I did create lacp on it without the problems. There is the same as the above stack firmware:

unit active backup current-active next-active
---- ----------- ----------- -------------- --------------
1 6.3.2.4 6.3.2.4 6.3.2.4 6.3.2.4

• 

3.4K Posts

April 29th, 2021 00:00

Hi,

Have you tried Dylan's suggestion to remove the member from the channel group and add the port to the correct channel group, either dynamic or static. 

6 Posts

April 29th, 2021 23:00

Hello,

Finally I managed to add a port into channel-group (dynamic). I did this exactly the same as previously when I received the message "cannot add a dynamic member to a LAG with static members. Have no idea what happened and how can I explain this?

I wish I could understand this behavior but I am not able. If there is anyone who can explain this I will be great full.

However I thank you very much all of you for your help.

regards,

Tomek

4 Operator

• 

2.9K Posts

April 30th, 2021 15:00

Hello,

Either the static members were removed, something caused them to change, or, though I wouldn't expect this, there was some software issue causing them to misreport as static ports. Regardless, I'm glad you have your channel set up.

No Events found!