Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

July 23rd, 2013 10:00

LACP and NIC Teaming on Windows 2012

Hello.

I have a 6248 Power connect Switch. I configured the ports 1 and 2 as LAG1 and the ports 3 and for as LAG2. All the ports have the LACP enabled (as you can see in the image)

I have 2 servers (Dell R420) with Windows 2012 Standard Edition. In both servers, I created a NIC Teaming using 2 NICs (Teaming mode is LACP and Load Balance mode is Address Hash) 

Now on each server I have one Virtual NIC with 2 GBps.

I connect the first server on the switch ports 1 and 2, and the second server on ports 3 and 4.

After configure the Ip settings on both server, the question is:  can I copy one file from the first server to the second server at 2gbps speed?

I did a lot of tests, but always appear to use only 1  gbps.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 23rd, 2013 11:00

X number of aggregated links usually do not provide X time the bandwidth.

The following links have some good information on this.

communities.intel.com/.../19600

www.ieee802.org/.../frazier_01_0407.pdf

This link has someone with a similar setup. The forums users recommended using SMB  multichannel, may be something to look into.

social.technet.microsoft.com/.../lacplink-aggregation-max-speed-per-thread-only-1-gbs-per-appLication

Cheers

26 Posts

July 30th, 2013 12:00

I understand that I will be able to get to use the bandwidth of the two NICs in a team LAG only if I have multiple TCP sessions. That is, if I have multiple remote computers by copying several files at the same time to a server with this team and LAG board networks configured, will have more than 1 Gb of use on this board. Is that right?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 30th, 2013 13:00

Correct, having the Team/Lag setup will increase the throughput of the connection. Allowing multiple TCP connections to receive better bandwidth over the use of a non LAG connection. But those connections will not go above 1GBs.

No Events found!