Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 8th, 2003 20:00

LAYER 2????? Multiple networks

Has anyone run 2 different subnets across a 3348 yet without vlans?  My setup will be as follows, I only have 3 nodes that require a certain address different then the ip address scheme I am using.  I am going to put 2 ips on the cisco interface so I can route and would be able to with a hub (although I dont like it).  My problem is I had this happen once before and it didnt work? But in reality being layer 2 switches it shoul work and the managemnt IP of VLAN1 shouldnt matter?  Could someone give me some info on this. 

December 14th, 2003 20:00

So I think what you are saying is that you will have two subnets in the same vlan......and you will be implementing a secondary ip address range on a cisco router

Yes this will work and the different switches would be able to ping or see one another - but all taffic between "subnets" would have to go via in and out of the Cisco router interface tp be manipulate dand redirected.

You will addditional traffic across the switches - due to re-transmission of traffice for above traffice and additional broadcast and multicts traffic.

No Events found!