Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 25th, 2012 12:00

LLDP-MED location limitation on 3548P?

Hello everyone,

I'm running into an interesting issue with configuring LLDP-MED location information on a stack of  Dell 3458P switches. I'm running firmware 2.0.0.47.

I'm using the configuration command like this (with a much longer/more complete civic-address obviously!)

console> enable
console# conf
console(config)# int eth 1/e1
console(config-if)# lldp med location civic-address 99080255531303383030

This works fine for the first 8 switch ports, however the 9th port I configure yields the message

Resource Unavailable

This happens with both coordinate based locations and civic addresses, and if I use an interface range, I just get a lot of Resource Unavailable messages. I can configure any 8 ports, it doesn't have to be the first 8, and I get a similar message if I try and do it through the GUI.

It appears there is a limit  on the number of ports that can be configured with location information, which is pretty stupid, because the whole point of the location information is so E911 providers get sent to the right location in the event of an emergency, and therefore it needs to be configured on a per port basis. I'd even be OK with doing it on a port range basis (I actually only have 2 locations I want to use), but it just converts into individual commands in the configuration.

Can someone confirm this restriction for me or point out what I'm doing wrong?

There's a complete dearth of information on this subject, In fact the CLI reference just gives the command syntax and references ANSI/TIA 1057 for the data format, which is painful to wade through especially when you're used to the C*sco method of doing this :emotion-39:

Thanks in advance for any insight,

Gary E.

802 Posts

August 3rd, 2012 11:00

Sorry for the delayed response.

So far what I have found is that you can only add 8 addresses to the switch and then the resources run out.  

Now none of the documentation specifically mentions this limitation so I put in a request with the developers.  I have not heard a response at this time.

802 Posts

July 25th, 2012 12:00

I see you are running the current firmware on the 3548P.

It looks pretty straight forward that we are dealing with a max port limitation.  I'm seeing anything documented in our manuals on range or port limitations.  I will need to do some further research on what the limitations are on this setting.  

Thanks for your patience

4 Posts

July 25th, 2012 13:00

OK Thanks,  I'll await anything you might turn up.

Gary E.

4 Posts

August 3rd, 2012 14:00

Thanks for the follow-up.

Yes, this is what I found experimentally too. Unfortunately this make the feature unsuitable for most applications (including mine). I have another option for the time being, so I'll do that instead.

Thanks again,

Gary E.

No Events found!