Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 13th, 2012 05:00

M6348 simple mode with host (end device) in external port

Hi All,

I try setup M6348 blade switch with simple mode as below, but I could not setup external port connect with end device (host), will it support?

Example:

Port Aggregator group 1 - Internal port 1 with switchport vlan access 888 (untag)

Port Aggregator group 1 - external port 33-36 connect to Cisco switch port 3 and 4 with switchport vlan access 888 (untag)

I try connect end device (host) to M6348 external port 36 but M6348 internal port 1 (VM) could not ping end device

If end device connect to Cisco switch port e.g. port 8, M6348 internal port 1 (VM) ping successful.

I try connect end device (host) to M6348 external port with Port Aggregator group 2, it could not allow add vlan 888, will M6348 with simple switch mode support above setup? Many thanks.

Best regards,

Chung

802 Posts

October 16th, 2012 13:00

If you are wanting an external device to communicate with an internal port then the external port must be on the same Port Aggregator group as the internal port  As far as I understand there are no switchport mode access command options.  The Simple mode does not allow traffic to pass between port aggregator groups.  If it is not working the way you think it should respond you may have to turn off simple mode and configure the switch manually.

Hope this helps,

802 Posts

October 15th, 2012 11:00

Here is a great whitepaper on Simple mode options for the M6348 switch.  Here is an excerpt from the document.

i.dell.com/.../powerconnect-blade-simple-switch-mode-whitepaper.pdf

The switch handles traffic in the following way when in Simple Mode:

o Tagged traffic would be dropped if the incoming port is not a member of the incoming packet’s

VLAN.

o Untagged traffic is switched and untagged at the egress.

o Default VLAN tagged traffic should be switched and egress as untagged.

o Tagged traffic that belongs to a user-created VLAN gets switched in that VLAN and egresses as

tagged.

October 16th, 2012 07:00

Hi Willy,

Thanks for your reply. But I still not understand. Just want to know, can I setup M6348 as below?

Simle Mode

Port Aggregator group 1 - Internal port 1 with switchport vlan access 888 (untag)

Port Aggregator group 1 - external port 33-36

Can I add end device (Host) in M6348 external port with same vlan of Internal port 1?

Best regards,

Chung

October 17th, 2012 06:00

Hi Willy,

I had turn off simple mode and it work, many thanks.

Best regards,

Chung

No Events found!