Start a Conversation

Unsolved

J

2 Posts

January 14th, 2019 15:00

Master Switch Replacement

I'm in need of some help. 

I am new to managing switches. We have a Dell PowerConnecct 6248p switch that is the master in the stack. This switch is pretty old and has been acting up. I want to replace this switch with something newer. 

My question is how do I go about replacing the switch? I am not sure how to move the current configuration of the switch to the new one. Or set up the new one in general... 

Is there any step by step documentation I can read up on? I've had no luck with my search. Most of the posts don't make much sense to me since I am so new to switch management. 

Thanks in advance.

212 Posts

January 15th, 2019 07:00

Here is a link to a "how-to" paper for stacking PowerConnect 6200 switches. There are sections in this paper that discuss how to add or remove members with minimal interruptions. https://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/pwcnt/en/pwcnt_stacking_switches.pdfKeep in mind the PowerConnect line is very old and this paper is dated 2010. You would need another PowerConnect 6200 switch (probably one of those mentioned in the paper) to replace the one in question. Unfortunately finding a new one might be a difficult task. Another possible option, if it is the master that you believe is giving you the most trouble, you might be able to fail-over to a new master (make one of the other stack members - the standby - the master). This document is all I was able to located on the subject. Of course, you can always replace the entire stack with all new switches. Hope this was helpful.

2 Posts

January 17th, 2019 10:00

Thanks so much. I am going to give this doc a read through.

No Events found!