Start a Conversation

Unsolved

J

4 Posts

March 19th, 2019 00:00

Multiple FRRP Instances

I have implemented 2 FRRP instances, followed all the guidelines, and for the most part, both rings work properly.  Occasionally, when a "failover" or "ring down" scenario happens, not all L2 Vlans forward traffic properly, Certain VLANS dont learn mac-addresses in one direction on a particular link.  is this common, and how can I prevent it?  it seems to be different VLANs every time, but they are almost always newly added vlans to the member-vlan statement.  new meaning they haven't been in the member-vlan statement during a failover/ring down condition before.  If I remove the affected vlans from the affected link, then re-add them, MAC's are learned properly, and traffic resumes as expected. 

Ring 1 = --
Ring 2 = ++

Node 9
                                                                        +    +

+    +
Node 1--Node 2--Node 3-- Node 4--Node 5--Node 6--Node 7--Node 8
|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 

4 Posts

March 19th, 2019 00:00

my silly drawing didnt come out quite right.. Ring 2 is between node 6 and node 9 only, on separate interfaces apart from Ring 1

• 

8.5K Posts

March 19th, 2019 12:00

Hi,

What model switches are you using? What version is the firmware?  

4 Posts

March 19th, 2019 16:00

S4048-ON's running DNOS 9.11 (0.0P8) 

almost all of the nodes are also in a 2 unit stack, if that matters.  

• 

8.5K Posts

March 20th, 2019 09:00

I was not able to find anything about this being a known issue. Do both rings have the same or different member vlan?

4 Posts

May 14th, 2019 05:00

some vlans are member vlans in both rings, but some are not as well.   Last night, I had the larger ring fail, and for the first time have it also trigger the smaller ring at the exact same time in logs.  these rings are essentially the figure 8 configuration in the guides.  separate physical ports, different control vlans, and the switch in the middle of the figure 8 is transit in both nodes. 

No Events found!