Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 28th, 2010 15:00

Need help connecting 2 x 6248 switches with stacking cables and 2x 10GEthernet cables

I have 2 x 6248 switches currentley connected and manageable via a single interface (using the stacking modules/cables in bay1 of each switch)  I also have added a 10GE SFP+Module and cables in bay 2 of both switches.  My question is what configuration do I need to add/adjust to have both switches utilizing the 10GE modules so I can get 10GE between the swtiches instead of 1g ethernet.

16 Posts

January 1st, 2011 07:00

I hope you realize that the Dell networking switches will never actual utilize the 10gb links to the full capacity.  See this article:  http://www.infoworld.com/t/networking/dell-powerconnect-6248-perfectly-priced-performer-369

It would have been cheaper to purchase 2 stacking modules, and then there would have been no configuration you would have to do to get the switch to talk to each other.  

First, assign your switch a IP Address, and mirror the configuration on your first switch.  

As far as VLAN's, I'm not an expert on VLANs, but you would have to create the same VLAN database on your second switch, change your 10gb port to a trunked port on both switches, allow the vlans to pass thru the 10gb port, then on the second switch, assign which port go to which VLAN.

If you don't have VLAN's setup; other than configuring the IP Address of the switch, there really shouldn't be any configuration you should have to do.

No Events found!