Start a Conversation

Unsolved

P

1 Rookie

• 

4 Posts

September 2nd, 2020 08:00

Old Dell 2161DS KVM - password reset

So, I have in my possession an old Dell 2161 DS Kvm-over -ip.

Yes, it is old. But it's what I have at the moment and I have experience using them (owned at least 3 over  the years) and generally liked them.

It's an e-bay purchase and the previous owner didn't clear the password and it is not the default.

I was able to sniff the ip via wireshark and connect via RCS but can't login.

Serial console is on an old version of firmware and also does not have the reset option. It's locked down.

Finally, I have the mythical Password Override software for this device but still need someone in Dell to help with the internal link that provides the one time password to reset the device after I provide the Override keyword and EID. 

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Andrew

• 

8.8K Posts

September 2nd, 2020 12:00

Penfold07,

Would you be able to confirm if you have a FORGOTTEN PASSWORD option on the Oscar log in screen? If not the only option you would have is to either ship the unit to Avocent for a hard reset, or to replace the unit. 

If you do have the option then let me know. 

1 Rookie

• 

4 Posts

September 6th, 2020 19:00

Hi Chris,

Thank you for the reply.

Unfortunately my KVM seems to be an early production build that never had its firmware upgraded during its life.

It was of course an ebay purchase.

So, the answer is unfortunately no.

For the time being I'll continue to use it as a conventional kvm and then replace it with a DS-2 model when I really need the ip access.

Thanks for your time.

Andrew

January 16th, 2022 13:00

Hi, I have the same problem, I forgot the password, but I have a FORGOTTEN PASSWORD option on the Oscar log in screen. Could you help me, please?

January 16th, 2022 13:00

Hi, I have the same problem, I forgot the password, but I have a FORGOTTEN PASSWORD option on the Oscar log in screen. Could you help me, please?

• 

4.1K Posts

January 16th, 2022 17:00

Hi, happy 2022 to you! Please see below:

https://dell.to/3ft4mwK

Reset a 2161DS Serial Port Password

2161DS Serial Port Reset Utility Program

Instructions:

The Password override utility program is designed to override and lost/forgotten serial port password. Please follow the directions listed below to reset your password.

1. Connect a serial cable from the serial port of the Dell 2161DS to a serial port on a client computer.
  2. Launch the utility PasswordOverride.exe  and follow the directions.
  3. The utility will communicate with the appliance and extract the 16 Digit Key.
  4. Customer supplies that key, as well as the EID from the appliance (located ont he bottom), to Dell Tech Support
  5. Dell TSP sends back one time use password to customer, who copies it back into the utility.
  6. The utility will reset the password and the rest of the appliance back to factory defaults.

Caution- While the utility program is resetting the password please make sure to not power cycle or turn off the power to the 2161DS.

PasswordOverride.exe “-> but for this, please call the phone support with the system's service tag.

https://dell.to/3GE0wgq

61 page

1. Connect the serial console port on Dell2161DS with a PC serial port with a null modem cable.
  2. Open HyperTerminal or Putty (serial), Port setting: Baud Rate: 9600. Parity: None. Flow control: None.
  3. Reboot Dell2161DS.
  4. Press any key to display the menu.
  5. Press “5” to restore factory defaults.

• 

8.7K Posts

January 25th, 2022 15:00

Hi,

You can try it, but it only lists the 2161DS as the unit it works on.

January 25th, 2022 15:00

Hi all.

Is this solution with PasswordOverride.exe work with Avocent DSR2161 KVMs too?

Thank you.

March 4th, 2023 17:00

Is this still available? I know I'm late to the game, but gave up trying to find something like this and decided to re-visit it and found this post.

• 

4.1K Posts

March 5th, 2023 17:00

Hello, thanks for choosing Dell. As far as I know this is still available. 

March 6th, 2023 11:00

The download links in this thread do not work anymore. Also, is there anything similar for the KVM 1082DS?

• 

3.7K Posts

March 6th, 2023 12:00

Hello BEHoward1992,

Have you tried the default username is Admin and the password has no entry?

https://dell.to/3ZH8rCD

Do you  have a FORGOTTEN PASSWORD option on the Oscar log in that Chris mentioned? 

If you don't then you may have to contact Avocent like Chris says.

1 Rookie

• 

1 Message

July 22nd, 2024 15:53

@DELL-Charles R​ 

Can you PM and help me with my 2161-DS2, need an emergency password.

• 

8.8K Posts

July 22nd, 2024 16:14

JasonD-USN,

I would be happy to help you with that. Would you please reply to the private message I sent you with the 16 digit key and EID number, and I can look at creating a passcode for you.

1 Rookie

• 

5 Posts

July 24th, 2024 09:55

Good afternoon everyone!

I have as well an old legacy Dell 2161DS KVM (not the ...-2 Version) and after long time not being needed I do not have the password for the serial console anymore.

DELL 2161DS Console Ready...

Press any key to continue

+-----------------------------------------------+
|              DELL 2161DS Console              |
| Copyright (c) 2000-2004, All Rights Reserved  |
|        Security Active -- Please login        |

Enter current password ->

I found the page with a howto to reset the password here: https://www.dellkvm.com/faqs/reset-a-2161ds-serial-port-password/, but unfortunately also the links there are already dead. Is there a chance, that someone can provide this mystical executable and provide the mentined one-time password?

I have EID and Ethernet address on hand, serial connection is also working as can be seen above.

If any other information is required, kindly let me know!

Thank you very much in advance for your support!

Best regards,

Norman

August 14th, 2024 23:24

Hey all,

I just got off a call with Dell support and the techie I spoke to didn't know where to find the PasswordOverride.exe file mentioned in this thread. If anybody else out there happens to still have this file would you please share it. Some of us are still trying to bring some of this equipment back from the dead and would really appreciate some help.

Thanks!

No Events found!