Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

K

January 20th, 2015 10:00

PowerConnect 5548 ports stuck in Down*

Am hitting this problem for the second time now that ports seem to lock up and am unable to revover them by shut/no shut. Only means to recover the ports seems to be
 through rebooting the switch. Clients are Dell and HP computers and no BPDU device known to have caused this although the port should be recoverable anyway.

Anyone know of this problem and what means to recover the ports ?

Re

Kjartan

Port     Type         Duplex  Speed Neg      ctrl State       Pressure Mode
-------- ------------ ------  ----- -------- ---- ----------- -------- -------
gi1/0/1  1G-Copper    Full    1000  Enabled  On   Up          Disabled Off    
gi1/0/2  1G-Copper    Full    1000  Enabled  On   Up          Disabled On     
gi1/0/3  1G-Copper    Full    1000  Enabled  On   Up          Disabled On     
gi1/0/4  1G-Copper    Full    1000  Enabled  On   Up          Disabled Off    
gi1/0/5  1G-Copper      --      --     --     --  Down*           --     --    
gi1/0/6  1G-Copper      --      --     --     --  Down*           --     --    
gi1/0/7  1G-Copper      --      --     --     --  Down*           --     --    
gi1/0/8  1G-Copper      --      --     --     --  Down*           --     --    
gi1/0/9  1G-Copper      --      --     --     --  Down*           --     --    
gi1/0/10 1G-Copper      --      --     --     --  Down           --     --    
gi1/0/11 1G-Copper    Full    1000  Enabled  On   Up          Disabled Off  

interface gigabitethernet1/0/5
 description PC-VLAN-244
 spanning-tree portfast
 spanning-tree guard root
 spanning-tree bpduguard enable
 switchport access vlan 244

Unit             SW version         Boot version         HW version      
------------------- ------------------- ------------------- -------------------
         1               4.1.0.16            1.0.0.14            00.00.02      

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 20th, 2015 12:00

I would start by looking at the switch logging # show logging. In the you will be able to see the port going down. Then look for any messages around that event that may point to what the cause is.

Have you tried plugging the devices into a port that is currently working. Doing this will help pinpoint the port or client as the issue. Alternatively you could setup port mirroring and run wireshark to analyze the traffic.

9 Posts

January 23rd, 2015 01:00

Tks Daniel,

The part that the port´s are blocking is not worring me at the moment I've tested it with my own pc at the switch and the ports were dead, no problems with the ports that give a status of "down" in stead of "down*" It´s the star that is pussling me and the part that I cant seem to reactivate them again beside rebooting the switch.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 23rd, 2015 11:00

I have not seen the star before, and it does not appear to be documented in the user guide. Can you post up the running config along with the logging that occurred around the time that the ports went down? I will continue to research.

Thanks

9 Posts

January 23rd, 2015 12:00

Have it in syslog by now but was not collecting at the time, will see if I have an oppertunity to recreate during next week and post back if I have success. You know of any debug commands MCLI og Debug to check out if I get lucky again.

Re

Kjartan

9 Posts

March 24th, 2015 10:00

Have figured this out; port is/was err-disabled due to spanning-tree bpduguard or root guard.

The appropriate command to resolve this turned out to be "set interface active gigabitethernet 1/x/x"

6 Posts

June 12th, 2023 00:00

Good job finding this command, Kjartan.

I had the same problem - down* and I quickly found out what happend by executing show errd inter. However I was, just like you, not able to find how to reenable the port. It seems that with majority of devices no shut is enough. Not here, though. I run a search on cli reference guide. No luck. Now, once I have he right command thanks to you, I can confirm it actually is in the guide, but since it's not referenced to show errdisabled (or bpdu guard) nor does it have bpdu guard or anything similar mentioned in it, I couldn't find it.

Thanks again. 

No Events found!