Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 1st, 2014 09:00

PowerConnect 5548P appears dead --how to troubleshoot?

Okay, separate switch on my bench from any recent posts; I have a Dell PowerConnect 5548P sitting here.  Apparently my predecessor told one of our techs "he thought it was bad".

I've already hooked it up to console cable, and booted it.  I only get the first message:

Boot1 Checksum Test...............

Then nothing after.  Are there any reset or diagnostic procedures I can run before taking things up with Dell Support, or is this pretty much "stick a fork in it, it's done?"

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 3rd, 2014 08:00

Sounds like it could really be a hardware or firmware issues. I would start by first trying to re-flash the firmware through XMODEM.

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriverDetails/Product/powerconnect-5524?driverId=371Y4&osCode=NAA&fileId=3324507244&languageCode=en&categoryId=NI

In the firmware download there are instructions for updating through XMODEM.

If the firmware does not help, you are probably looking at a hardware issue. You mentioned the fans, what does the fan LED look like on the front of the switch?

Thanks

25 Posts

February 1st, 2014 11:00

Through several resets, I have gotten the switch to boot.  However, I still experience problems. The switch periodically announces the up and down performance of its fans, and console communication is so delayed that a command might show up 2-3 minutes after I typed it.  I don't get consistent communications, and so I can't really query anything.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 13th, 2014 07:00

The only diagnostics available are the Integrated Cable Test and Optical Transceiver Diagnostics.

The status LED provides some information also.

Status

Green Static The switch is operating normally.
Green Flashing The switch is booting.
Red Static A critical system error has occurred.
Red Flashing A non-critical system error has occurred.

You can also use #show logging, to view any errors that may have been logged.

25 Posts

February 13th, 2014 07:00

Daniel,

Thank you for the information.  I have updated the firmware through XMODEM, and am now at the console prompt.  Are there any onboard diagnostic commands I can run on the PowerConnect switches to check for basic functionality?

25 Posts

February 13th, 2014 08:00

With the switch reloaded, I am seeing no obvious errors that could be determined without having it as a member of a network, and the switch is now responding to commands.

Having found the management IP, it looks like my predecessor took this switch out of commission and already replaced it.  I am guessing that either the flash was corrupted, or he found an issue that I can only determine by putting it back on a network and testing it, so that will need to be my next move (once I have wiped the configuration).

Daniel, thank you for your assistance.

No Events found!