Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 14th, 2018 06:00

PowerConnect 6224 - Save Running Config - Reboot Required?

Hi,

Apologies if this is a simple question but I've made some VLAN and user account changes via serial cable on my PC6224 stack (3 switches).

I see that the command to save these changes to the non-volatile ram / startup config is:

copy running-config startup-config

I also assume this can be done via the WebUI via:

System > File Management > Copy Files.

Copy Configuration - Source: Running Config. Destination: Startup Config

P6224_Config_Save

My question is: Does saving / copying the running config to the startup config cause the switch to reboot? Can I perform this command during production without fear of the switches / stack restarting?

Also, If I connect to the master switch in my stack via serial cable and run the copy running-config startup-config command, does this apply to the entire stack and save the running config to every switch or does this command need to be run on each switch?

Thanks in advance.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 14th, 2018 10:00

When stacked the switches are all managed by the master stack member. Any command issued to the master unit is applied to the entire stack. If you make a console connection to a non-master unit, it will ask you to connect to the stack master. 

During the copy process, you will not be able to issue any other commands, but the switch stays up and the command does not cause the stack to reboot. Here is what the process looks like.

copy run start.png

21 Posts

March 15th, 2018 02:00

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for confirming that the switches stay up and do not reboot when copying the running config to startup config.

Just to double check and confirm, this can be done during production hours and it will not affect connectivity between hosts currently using the switch (SANs and physical servers), is that correct?

Also, does the Copy Configuration -> Source: Running Config. Destination: Startup Config in the WebUI do exactly the same thing? 

Thanks.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 15th, 2018 06:00

That is correct, saving the running config to the startup config will not affect connectivity between hosts. 

Copy Configuration -> Source: Running Config. Destination: Startup Config, is the GUI equivalent of the command #copy run start.

21 Posts

March 16th, 2018 07:00

Brilliant. Thanks a lot for confirming that for me.

No Events found!