Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 14th, 2013 08:00

PowerConnect issues?

I have a network using 3x5324,2x3348 and a 6024. The switches are interconnected though the ethernet ports on the 6024. All of the activity light flash rapidly at the same time(in sync). Shouldn't the lights not flash in sync with each other and should they reflect the weight of network usage? IE in lightly network they should blink slowly.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 14th, 2013 09:00

Blinking activity lights usually just indicate activity. If the activity lights are blinking rapidly at the same time, it would not hurt to look into things some, it could be an indication of a broadcast storm, STP, collision frames.

Are we seeing any poor network performance?

Was anything recently changed/added to the network? Any configuration changes?

Is this a new setup or has it been working fine up until now?

What firmware are the switches at?

On the switch interfaces we can do a command

# show rmon statistics ethernet g1

Then look for the number of multicast and collision frames. See if any interfaces have a high number.

We can also look at the command

# show logging

To see if any recent events that were logged may give us an idea

This should get us started in the right direction of checking into things. Keep us updated on what your findings are.

Thanks.

47 Posts

March 14th, 2013 10:00

Are we seeing any poor network performance?

No, There was a issue a month or two back but it cleared up on its own. We never found a problem. The only ongoing issue is line level drops(2-10/sec.) on Unix servers. the servers network works and there are no errors anywhere else I know to look.

Was anything recently changed/added to the network? Any configuration changes?

As far as configurations nothing has changed since 2000. The network has doubled in size but the last thing we put on the network was weeks before the issue was found.

Is this a new setup or has it been working fine up until now?

It was put online in 2000.

I am getting the rest of the information.

Thank you for the quick turn around.

47 Posts

March 14th, 2013 11:00

What is the command(show rmon statistics ethernet g21) for a 2824?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 14th, 2013 12:00

We may have to do it through the GUI on that one.

To open the RMON Statistics Group page, click

Statistics/RMON>RMON>Statistics in the tree view.

47 Posts

Currently there are no errors or slowdown I can see. Do I have to look at every port on every switch on the network?

The network is live 24/7 so disconnecting switches is not possible.  I am looking for the easiest way to figure out if One there is a network problem and two what the problem is?

If there is a problem I would be looking at fixing it long enough to be able to upgrade it. If there is not a problem I would be looking at setting up a new design and a plan to do the up grade in stages maybe switch by switch.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

Without having any distinct issues on the network, we don’t have a clear path to troubleshoot. To ensure everything is operating properly we need to review stats like this. I would start with the ports that connect the switches together. Then move down to the client ports. Issuing the show commands for rmon and logging do not require any downtime or disconnect of cables. If the firmware is out of date and needs to be updated, that does require a reboot of the switch.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 14th, 2013 13:00

It can really vary depending on what kind of traffic the switch is handling, load, etc. So there is no easy way to say you could expect X collisions per hour. On the port we are seeing the collisions and dropped packets, is there a lot of multicast packets also?

It sounds like the network is working just fine, but it never hurts to double check things like this.

47 Posts

I know the normal numbers of errors vary a lot but can you give me an ideal of how many drop, collisions and fragments you could see before you would look into it?

>10/hr? >100/hr? >1000/hr?

I will not hold you to this. I will only use this info as a guide.

47 Posts

update.

Looking at the web inter face I have no collisions or dropped packets on the switch port and 3 dropped packets on the servers NIC interface in an hour or two.

I can see collisions drops and fragments on other ports. To include  1926454 collisions on one port and 22862 dropped packets on port 24 the fiber link to the other central switch(6024).

I have had my laptop pinging the server during the complete test. Unix's ping will ping about once per second until you stop it. I have also had a ssh connection  with the server for the one to two hours I was testing without problems. Ssh is like telnet but with a security tunnel.

I will continue to look though the switches.

47 Posts

March 14th, 2013 16:00

I have two 5324s I can't log into the web interface. What is the command line command to get the firmware version?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 15th, 2013 06:00

The following example displays a system version.

# show version

No Events found!