Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

November 25th, 2014 11:00

Powerconnect 2848 - Not saving between reboots

Our Powerconnect 2848 isn't restoring certain settings after a reboot. I change the time and date in the web GUI, restart the switch, and the time/date reverts back to Jan 1 2000.

Likewise, I change a VLAN subnet to /23 and when I restart the switch, it's back to /24.

Other changes to the switch stick fine. Just not the time/date and this subnet change.

It's almost like my "running config" isn't saving to my "saved config". What's the trick to get those setting changes to stick? Thanks!

4 Posts

November 25th, 2014 12:00

Maybe there is SNTP or NTP server configured ? which is changing the time for switch..

Have you tried to use CLI for configuring the time and changing vlan subnet ?

after the changes are made in cli execute :

copy running-config startup-config

after that it should be saved..

Also check the f/w version, if it not the latest one then update maybe there is a fix for your issue.

latest f/w : dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=DRK1R&fileId=3238636398&osCode=NAA&productCode=powerconnect-2824&languageCode=EN&categoryId=NI

how to use cli in this switch, page 153 :

ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_ser_stor_net/esuprt_networking/esuprt_net_fxd_prt_swtchs/powerconnect-2824_User%27s%20Guide_en-us.pdf

2 Intern

• 

157 Posts

November 25th, 2014 12:00

In the CLI, we tried to use copy running-config startup-config but it didnt work. The error message is:

net-sw-08# copy running-config startup-config
Source And Destination URL combination is not supported

There's no NTP server configured. There isn't even a way to configure one for the switch. You can just change the time in the GUI, and that change sticks until a switch reboot.

There is a firmware revision for this switch but it makes no mention of fixing either of these issues. In fact the version notes make no mention of anything that we'd want to update the firmware for. The issues that the firmware resolves has nothing to do with anything we need.

Again, if I use the web GUI to make other changes, those changes work fine. It just won't save the time change nor the subnet mask change after a reboot.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 25th, 2014 13:00

Changes made to the switch configuration automatically get saved to NVRAM once the Apply Changes button is clicked. The switch only has one configuration file. Therefore, it is not possible to save the running-configuration to the startup-configuration.

even though the newer firmware does not include specifics related to this situation in the release notes, updating the firmware can still help with overall operability. I would suggest still doing it.

2 Intern

• 

157 Posts

Unfortunately, the changes made to the switch configuration in terms of time of day and the subnet mask change are NOT getting automatically saved to NVRAM once the Apply Changes button is clicked. If it did, they would persist through a reboot, like the rest of the settings.

That's the purpose of my question, asking why those two settings are not being saved through a reboot when I hit Apply Changes.

2 Intern

• 

157 Posts

Nothing on the release notes for the firmware upgrade say anything about fixing this particular issue. So either the release notes are incomplete, or updating the firmware won't solve the issue.

This switch is one of the core switches in our networking environment and I'm not willing to risk any functionality of it by upgrading the firmware (and risking issues of a different, unknown sort) just because we can't think of anything else to try.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

I dont know why they are not being saved. But the first step i would take in troubleshooting, would be to update the firmware.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 25th, 2014 14:00

Firmware updates have specific fixes in them, but also make general improvement that are not going to be documented. That is why i say it can help with overall operability of the switch. The current firmware on the switch could also be corrupt in some way or another, causing symptoms like this. A fresh install could help there. When you have some planned downtime, I suggest updating it.

The management on these switches is limited. But you could try running the command # show tech-support, in the CLI. It will show you info about the switch, full config, and it may show some logging. so if there were any errors produced during the process of making the settings and trying to save the settings, a message may be logged here.

4 Posts

November 25th, 2014 15:00

Not sure if this switch is able to store a backup image.. but if it does then you can safely update.. if something goes wrong you can change boot image and boot the switch with an old f/w version..

1 Message

January 12th, 2015 11:00

You can use tftp to copy the existing image on the device to your computer.  Then upload the new one per the instructions in the manual, reboot the switch, and see how it operates.  If you don't like how it's operating, replace the new boot image with the one you saved via tftp.  As for some kind of time config, I'm looking for the same thing.  Haven't found it yet, if it exists.

3 Posts

February 14th, 2015 07:00

Did you find a resolution to this?  We have the same situation where changes made to the subnet mask will not be retained after reboot.

3 Posts

February 14th, 2015 09:00

By the way, I just updated the firmware, which now shows 1.0.0.45.  We can set the subnet to 255.255.252.0 and it works until power loss or reset through the GUI, then reverts back to  255.255.255.0.  Help!

3 Posts

February 18th, 2015 16:00

Anyone?

2 Posts

December 25th, 2015 10:00

Same problem here. My PowerConnect 2848 doesn't save the hour after reboot. Any idea? Thanks

1 Message

November 17th, 2016 05:00

I can also confirm that the issue is still present with the latest release.

It really *** us at a clients site after the switches had been up for so long.

their subnet is a /22 and when they reloaded due to power they lost subnet and gateway, this caused a ton of ARP issues which took hours to track down as it wasn't so obvious to begin with.

Setting this info again sticks until of course you reload the switch.

No Events found!