Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 19th, 2003 14:00

Powerconnect 3024's and packet capturing?

We are running 7 Powerconnect 3024 switches and in due course, these switches stop functioning and require a restart.  The only symptom is when this occurs, all the switches just start blinking like crazy.  I was told by some that packets must be getting trapped by the switches and overloading.  I thought having STP enabled and fastlink disabled on uplink ports and only running on endlink ports was supposed to stop any loops that might be occuring.  Does anyone have some ideas what else I may be able to check and or change to keep these systems running?  Other than this issue they operate alright.  Thank you for any suggestions and help!!

Regards,

Alan

21 Posts

November 22nd, 2003 21:00

We were told capture packets by Dell's network engineer.  THe problem IS NOT with our network or any broadcast storms, for god sake every other switch by two other vendors works perfectly.  We are fed up.

http://delltalk.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=pc_managed&message.id=1351

21 Posts

November 24th, 2003 02:00

Unfortunatly, we cannot accept Dell's uneducated response.  We cannot have downtime, and being these are enterprise switches, with the abundance of compliants, we should all be entitiled to either an upgrade or a full refund.  These switches are worthless , and we have just replaced them with Cisco switches.  I have never had a problem with a cisco switch, more importantly, everytime I have called Cisco, I have waited 5 mins and received an educated, CORRECT response without technicians testing equipment at the expense of my network.

I hope someone at Dell can feel my frustration.  I hope they respond, I am beyond furstrated .

5 Posts

November 24th, 2003 02:00

Like you I was told the same thing about how we must have some device sending broadcast packets on our net.  Also like you said, the only time it became a problem was with the Dell switches and no other ones on the network ever having the same problem.?  I feel your frustration on this one as we share the same problem with the switches.  Again though if anyone has come up with some type of fix in configuration settings or hopefully Dell will put a firmware upgrade that will cure this problem I would very much appreciate your help!!  Thanks! 

November 25th, 2003 13:00

Actually, based on the symptoms you've given (particularly that the LEDs start flashing rapidly when problems occur) you probably *DO* have a broadcast storm of some sort occurring.

The recommendation to capture traffic is normally made not only to a) prove that a broadcast storm is the problem, but b) find the SOURCE of the storm.  Often, a faulty NIC can start sending ARP requests out to the entire network, marching down the entire IP subnet.  I have also seen some virii cause similar problems.

1 Message

December 23rd, 2003 14:00

Does anyone know which particular viruses can cause 3024s and 3048s to lock completely?

5 Posts

December 23rd, 2003 14:00

Understanding the broadcast storm and possible bad NICs is fine.  The issue I think many of us have is that at this time I have had no other problems in the same environment except when I put the 3024's in.  This question I do mean honestly also, how is having all my switches stop functioning and the network dropping out going to help me find and indentify whcih IP a broadcast storm or packets are coming from?  Using different snmp monitors we have not found anything trying to register an ARP request or other such scenarios.?  Granted I know some virus like Nachi can cuase Denial Of Service on router channels which may also cuase this type of issue on the switches.  Is there a way to set a maximum time packets to unknown or broadcast storm type situations can be set to drop and clear the 3024 to stop these lock ups?  Thanks for your time and help.  I know it must not be easy with this one as many are angry about this type of problem but maybe with everyones ideas a solutions might be found.?  Have a good Christmas! 

No Events found!