Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 22nd, 2017 12:00

Powerconnect 3524P serial port disabled?

I work at an electronics recycler and we recently received a large amount of 3524P switches. Normally I end up connecting a serial cable and reset all settings to factory defaults.

Here's the catch-- every switch we received isn't giving a serial output. My guess is that they ended up disabling the console port..?

I was able to find the IP address of the switch and confirmed that the web interface was working (although, I was not able to log in because I don't have credentials)

I am by no means an expert with network switches but I have been wiping switches for about  6 months now without coming across something like this. Here are my serial settings:

Baud: 9600

Data bits: 8

Stop bits: 1

Parity: none

Flow control: none

I would love to be able to somehow re-enable console access without having the admin login. Anyone have any ideas?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 24th, 2017 07:00

I am not aware of a method of disabling access to the console port. More than likely the serial cable is not compatible. Not all of the PowerConnect switches use the same console cable. Some will have a different pinout from others.

Here is a KB article with some part and pinout numbers.

http://dell.to/2pcRvpo

2 Posts

May 4th, 2017 08:00

I checked the serial cable we had and confirmed it was DB9. According to the linked article, I am using the correct pinout for the switch I have. 

I have tried every baud rate possible and have had no avail. Any other ideas? 

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 4th, 2017 13:00

I cannot think of anything else. If it was just one switch, I would think that the port would be faulty. With a large number, there has to be something else going on.

I found another diagram of the pinout that can be used, may be helpful.

No Events found!