Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 12th, 2011 06:00

Powerconnect 6248 with OLD firmware

I found one of the 6248's in our environment is running firmware 1.0.0.27, it has been very stable (thankfully) but I'd like to upgrade to 3.3.1.10.  The documentation for 3.3.1.10 shows upgrade info from version 2.x,  will this also work in upgrading from 1.x or do I have to upgrade to 2.x before going to 3.x?  If so, where do I find the 2.x firmware?

Thanks!!

October 12th, 2011 08:00

2 Posts

October 12th, 2011 10:00

Thanks!!

67 Posts

October 12th, 2011 17:00

The FTP site is a good source but doesn't answer your question.  Can you upgrade from a 2 major version spread?   Our lab has many of these switches (150).  I can tell you there will be caveats to the task.  

- First back up your running config and clear the startup config.  For a several major rev hop upgrade you have to consider code updates may have invalidated/changed previous running configs (where management ip was initially defined at global in previous 3.x.x.x fw, now in 4.x.x.x is handled as an SVI - meaning not global anymore).

- Download the image but do not change the boot image yet...

- Verify that both images 1 & 2 are displayed.  If not (missing 1 of 2 images) then you need to stop and write back to us.  If however both images are displayed (your 1.0.0.27 and 3.0.x.x...) then you can proceed with the installation - follow the instructions carefully.  

- After your reboot you should have no config because you erased startup on first step, remember.  Here's where saving your config come in.  Beging block by block to input your config a section at a time (cut/paste via terminal server).  Monitor commands and note if errors occur.  if experience errors copy and post here for us to help you write the equivalent.  If none Yeay!  youve done it!!!

Have fun...

October 14th, 2011 06:00

You're right, I didn't answer the question with 1.x -> 3.x.

BUT as you write:

... in previous 3.x.x.x fw, now in 4.x.x.x is handled as an ...

when will we see this 4.x Firmware for the 62xx series?

Thanks

Thilo

67 Posts

October 14th, 2011 17:00

Sorry if I gave you the wrong impression; my comment was not to promote an image update. Rather the point is, features/CLI/running-configs may change as a function of subsequent revision updates.  Be mindful those changes don't affect your deployment. One way to keep informed is to read the txt notes that come with the images.

Thanks,

Javier

No Events found!