Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 22nd, 2010 08:00

Reset 2824 Switch to Factory Defaults

I recently acquired a used 2824 switch.  When configuring it I messed up on the password and now I can't get into it.  Is there a way to reset it to factory defaults so I can start over again?

909 Posts

November 23rd, 2010 11:00

Connect a PC with hyper terminal (or other terminal emulation) to the serial port in the back of the switch (use a null modem cable, 9600, 8, none, 1).

Powercycle the switch.

on the serial console, use the Startup menu to delete the file 'config'. (see serial capture below)

Switch will be put into unmanaged mode.

Press "MODE" button on front of switch to change mode to managed.  "MANAGED" LED should light up.

connect to the switch with a web browser via ip address 192.168.2.1. 

login to the switch via the default username/password: username='admin', password=

This will present the Restore Saved Configuration page.  Click 'Apply'

switch will reboot, connect to switch via web again using defaults above and start configuring switch.

--------------------------------------------

Autoboot in 2 seconds - press RETURN or Esc. to abort and enter prom.

Startup Menu

[1]  Download Software
[2]  Erase Flash File
[3]  Enter Diagnostic Mode
[4]  Set Terminal Baud-Rate
[5]  Back
 Enter your choice or press 'ESC' to exit:
Warning! About to erase a Flash file.

Are you sure (Y/N) ? y
Write Flash file name (Up to 8 characters, Enter for none.):config
File config (if present) will be erased after system initialization.

==== Press Enter To Continue ====

2 Posts

November 22nd, 2010 15:00

I want to know how to reset a dell switch to factory defaults too, so if some one can answer that question, please do, but cobra can solve his issue without defaulting the device.

This is what I did with a 3348. Get a null modem cable, plug it between a computer and the console port (DB9F) on your swith. Start up a terminal emulator on your coputer, configure it for the port you are plugged into and start at 9600bps, 8 data, 0 stop no parity. (IIRC) see if you can talk to the switch by typing a "?" you should not have to press enter. If you can't communicate, try different port settings until you can. Once you are communicating, power the switch off and on, and press enter on the terminal just once, as soon as you see the boot messages start to scroll.  When the scrolling stops, you should be at a "boot menu", option 4 shoud be password reset. Press, 4 pretty quickly, if you do nothing the boot resumes.  After pressing 4, You can try pressing enter, pressing escape or just waiting a second or two (which is what happend to me while I was trying to decide between enter and escape) and the boot will continue.  For the duration of that session, no password is required. This allows you to go in and recreate passwords on your users.  Before unpluging the console port, test logging in from another device to be sure that you did it correctly. Once you are done, reboot but don't use the boot menu.

February 1st, 2019 22:00

All I am getting is the following:

Dell_Powerconnet1.png

After I choose use current IP and Use Default user name, it reboots then I can't communicate with it any longer. I have a null modem cable from ethernet to serial DB9F and I use minicom on Linux (Sorry No Windows in my Home) and i still can't connect to it. So not sure what to do here, Seems like it shouldn't be this difficult.

This is now ridiculously stupid, I have never had this much of an issue configuring a switch. Can some please tell me what the heck to do I have done everything discribed here and other places and now i can't even connect to it nor set it to factory defaults. Good Lord Really.

1 Message

May 14th, 2020 11:00

I seem to be stuck in the same condition. I've gone through the process on the serial console to restore to factory settings, as described in this thread and elsewhere. I then put the switch in managed mode by poking the "Mode" button for three seconds. The console tells me to connect to the web UI.

When I then go to the switch in the browser (192.168.2.1), I get the login screen, and after logging in with the default admin userid all I get is this screen (Restore Saved Configuration). No matter what I do on this screen, it just restarts, and I get the login screen again.

If after logging in I try going to the base URL (http://192.168.2.1), it just redirects me again to http://192.168.2.1/config/restore_saved.htm.

As far as I can tell at the moment, the switch seems unrecoverable for use as a managed device.

• 

8.7K Posts

May 14th, 2020 14:00

Hi,

Have you tried erasing the flash from the boot menu? https://dell.to/2yWJLiN

1 Message

May 6th, 2021 21:00

Absolutely the same problem with my 2816 switch

• 

3.5K Posts

May 7th, 2021 05:00

Hello,

did you tried to erase flash as per Josh suggestion?

Thanks
Marco 

No Events found!