Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 11th, 2016 05:00

Simulate MLAG on N1524 stack?

Hi,

I know from the documentation that the N1500 series does not support MLAG. But if I have stacked 2 N1524s, can I create a normal LAG with links on both switches?

For example, with 2 stacked switches, is it possible to put port Gi1/0/10 and port Gi2/0/10 into a LAG?

Kind regards,
Sean

212 Posts

February 11th, 2016 07:00

Sean,

Yes you can.  As of matter of fact that is a best practice when connecting to a stack, so that if one of the switches on the stack goes down you will still have connectivity.  When a stack is created, all other devices on the network see it as a single switch, and do not know that it is a stack.  So LAGs to multiple members of the virtual large switch (the stack) is perfectly acceptable.

-B

3 Posts

February 11th, 2016 08:00

Barrett,

Thank you. I've attached a crude diagram of what I intend to configure. The red links represent the physical links that will be part of one LAG, the blue links represent the physical links that will be part of another LAG. I just want to make sure that you are picturing the same thing that I am. Also, the firewalls in the diagram are configured as an HA pair but I don't have decent Visio stencils to use for those:

Any reason that this would not work with stacked N1524s?

Kind regards,
Sean

3 Posts

February 11th, 2016 13:00

Perfect. Thanks for your help!

212 Posts

February 11th, 2016 13:00

Not sure how exactly the HA pair work, but if these firewalls are seen as two separate switches/routers on the network then this should work from the stack perspective.  From the two firewalls perspective, they only see one switch when connecting to the stack even if the lag is split among both.  

In other words, if this same scenario works with a single N1524 switch with both LAGs going into it, then it should also work like this with stacked N1524s.  Redundancy is provided with the stack, but is otherwise just a bigger switch.

No Events found!